Phone numbers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
can anyone tell me the name of the site where you can find out who's calling you, got a text message saying i had missed a call but my phone didn't say i had and i didn't recognise the number either, 447768318573..

TIA

Normally, I just Google the number itself. More often than not, there'll be someone else who's had the same thing (I get a lot of them through 3 Mobile).

that just looks like a uk mobile number that's delcared the international prefix (i have my mobile set to give it's number as '44') quite often my phone doesn't ring, but it still sends a message about a missed call... nothing sinister, prob just a wrong number

jim

blurk99":1v0xztf2 said:
that just looks like a uk mobile number that's delcared the international prefix (i have my mobile set to give it's number as '44') quite often my phone doesn't ring, but it still sends a message about a missed call... nothing sinister, prob just a wrong number

jim

Quite likely IS sinister IMHO

Why did the OP get a TEXT saying missed call when the phone did not record a missed call??
Stinks to high heaven.
By sending a return text, this will validate the phone number belongs to someone and hence spamming calls are likely to result.

Bob

My theory is that if the call is important they will leave a message or ring back.
If I get a persistent one I look it up on Google - often you can find out who they are?

Rod

9fingers":399ovtk7 said:
Why did the OP get a TEXT saying missed call when the phone did not record a missed call??

I wonder, do any mobile providers do this when you receive a call but you're not connected to their network - phone turned off, out of a service area, no signal etc.?

Unfortunately, since SMS has a delivery confirmation that gets sent back to the sender, spammers could potentially verify that it's a valid number without the recipient doing anything at all, though...

I work on the principle that if someone wants me enough then they will leave me a message.

If you want to find out, Steve, why not go into your own phone and block your outgoing number and then call them and see who they are?

Chances are it's another of those wretched "Our records show that ............".

Steve, I get loads of messages and marketting calls on my mobile and have a simple philosophy:-

If it is a recognised or local number where I recognise the code it gets answered

If it is not I dont - genuine callers will leave a message and I phone them straight back.

I know you are going to shout but then you pay for the call, but I get 1000mins monthly included in my contract and I never use them all!

I get a bunch of these (I am on TalkTalk, which is cheap but seems to suffer from more of these calls).

You can look them up on http://whocallsme.com.

You can buy a call blocker if you get too many. I have this one: http://www.callpreventionregistry.co.uk/products.html and it works a treat (a couple of teething problems, though). Used with an answering policy similar to that described by dodge it has reduced our nuisance time to almost nothing.

hth

Nothing odd about the network provider sending a text if a call could not be completed.
As suggested, Googling the whole number will often turn up hits if it's being used to source cold calls.
In such cases I will normally ignore it, they can leave a message, text or call you back if was important. Otherwise, if I happen to answer and it does turn out to be someone concerned that I should receive my full compensation for 'my recent accident' I will normally waste their time for a few minutes before wishing them luck with finding a proper job.

Latest posts

Back