Philly's Toys...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":124n9qgq said:
My personal prejudice also tends to the thought that a dedicated shooter has a good reward ratio; high mass, square body, low angle and a skewed blade; not available commercially (AFAIK),

BugBear

Except from our very own Philly! :) although the skewed iron has been dropped as being of little or no benefit while increasing complexity (as I recall) , and on the subject of inspiration...

mitrea.jpg

Cheers Mike

mr":2cg440wg said:
bugbear":2cg440wg said:
My personal prejudice also tends to the thought that a dedicated shooter has a good reward ratio; high mass, square body, low angle and a skewed blade; not available commercially (AFAIK),

BugBear

Except from our very own Philly! :) although the skewed iron has been dropped as being of little or no benefit while increasing complexity (as I recall) , and on the subject of inspiration...

Cheers Mike

That magnificent LA plane by Philly performs well despite not having a skewed blade, at least IMHO.

Whilst good performance can be achieved without skew (e.g. Stanley #9, many infill mitre planes), other high performance planes have gone to the trouble of skewing the blade e.g. older wooden shooting planes, and the VAST majority of dedicated shooting devices (Stanley #51/#52, Hutchens, Lion etc)

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3016

Perhaps Derek Cohen can comment, since he's used a #62 as well as a #51

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRestor ... 05152.html
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/z_pdf/resto ... ion-ne.pdf

BugBear

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_jo ... 73456.html

Does this help BW?
I've made some planes, some more successful than others, the one I'm working on at the moment works but looks terrible 'cos the proportions are wrong, but it does work.
Even Philly has said that the prototype took some time, and he's an expert, but it's well worth the effort.
The 24 in shooter that I made produces a straighter edge than my cast iron planer!
Try it mate, you always buy another piece of Maple! :lol:

Roy.

Hi,

Nice to see old designs revived nowadays. The only quirk is the absence of the traditional thumbscrew. Having no metalwork knowledge, I do wonder if they are that hard to make. They also seem to be absent from LN and Veritas products.

Ahhh...Welcome, Wivesagainstschwarz.
Your reputation precedes you..... :lol:

Guess you don't want to see this then......

linky
Cheers
Philly :D

Blimey Phil - getting some real recognition - well played!
I'm glad Mr Schwarz shares my grievances with the No 78 - I just can't get it working well in hardwoods either :x.
Cheers
Gidon

mr":3ds5twv7 said:
bugbear":3ds5twv7 said:

BugBear

mitrea.jpg

Cheers Mike

Skew is back!!

http://philsville.blogspot.com/2008/08/skew-miter.html

I don't know wether Philly has changed his mind, or is merely doing what a paying customer asked, or both.

BugBear

BB
Yes, made a custom one for a customer. It works real nice, so may well be offering it again as a standard model in the very near future.
Best regards

I'd be real interested in the performance of that skewed mitre plane as compared to the LN #9. I quite like my #9 and use it very frequently in the shop, but I always feel it could run a little easier; It still hits the wood with frightening thunk and can be pretty hard to push if you don't soften the end grain first (upon which it takes the most lovely end-grain shavings in any wood).

Anywayyyy .... I'd love to hear from anyone who has spent quality time with a skewed woodie miter plane and a LN #9 ....

Paul Kierstead":15tzrity said:
I'd be real interested in the performance of that skewed mitre plane as compared to the LN #9. I quite like my #9 and use it very frequently in the shop, but I always feel it could run a little easier; It still hits the wood with frightening thunk and can be pretty hard to push if you don't soften the end grain first (upon which it takes the most lovely end-grain shavings in any wood).

Anywayyyy .... I'd love to hear from anyone who has spent quality time with a skewed woodie miter plane and a LN #9 ....

Philly's new toy has two advantages - lower friction, and a skewed blade.

Philly - one more design idea; it might be worth making the cheeks rather thick in a shooting plane (or at least the cheek that the plane runs on); This would allow a deeper than usual rebate on the shooting board, which would reduced wear rates; the running VERTICAL surface running surface on a shooting board always strikes me as being too small for comfort.

BugBear

Philly":376fv5z5 said:
BB
Yes, made a custom one for a customer. It works real nice, so may well be offering it again as a standard model in the very near future.
Best regards

Like I said oh-so-long-ago, in a plane of that quality, skew may not be needed, but that doesn't stop it being wanted!

BugBear

BB
I've been using 10mm wide cheeks on the Miter plane - as you say, gives more surface area to run on.
I'll post some pics when I make another.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back