Philly's Toys...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
HI Folks
Noticed I haven't shown off any planes recently. Better make up for that.... :wink:
First up - a Moving Fillister.
fillister2.jpg

fillister1.jpg

fillister3.jpg

This has a skew blade bedded at 55 degrees and is great at cutting rebates. It has a movable fence to allow different width cuts, a nicker iron for clean cross grain work and an adjustable brass depth stop. Timber is Quartered Beech, oil finish.

Oh, and some shavings... :lol:
fillister4.jpg

Cheers
Philly :D

I'm not surprised you haven't shown any lately Philly, just how long did it take to make that beauty?

Roy.

Brass knobs and bits as well now, there's no stopping you :lol:

Did you do the metalwork yourself as well ?

Cheers, Paul :D

Roy
About three days, all in. And the prototype took a lot longer..... :roll:
Paul
Yes, all the metalwork was mine, too. More skills to learn, but ultimately worth it. And brass is a pleasure to work :wink:
Cheers

Very nice Philly! I want one :)! I've been having a lot of trouble with my #78 just this evening - bet this would do a much better job.
Cheers
Gidon

Its for sure your getting better at it, and they where already that good. Nice job! Like em very much!

Nice work Philly! And it's boxed as well. I'll bet it works like a dream. =D>
One of those planes to cause you to make piles of shavings for no other good reason than to watch and feel it work. -wayne anderson

Very nice :D

indeed a very nice brass work... fillets and all. also very nice work on the slotted hex screws on the bottom. bravo.

I was browsing your page and saw you sporting what looked like a Red Bull Coulthard hat. You planning on making a special edition F1 plane? (just joking).

Beautiful Phil. That brass adjuster looks the biz now it's in a plane. You are really getting the hang of this plane making lark :lol:

I think the Beech looks very nice against the brass too =D>

Think I'll have ot order one :wink:

Very nice =D> Very fine and crisp details.

I have a question. On the fence how were you able to get those flat bottom channels. Did you use a mill? I think I ended up using a forstner bit and then cleaning up with a chisel. But I was not able to clear out the recesses made by the bit.

A nice job Phil.
I presume you use a metalworking lathe and miller for the metalwork, or are you able to buy the adjusters etc., ready made?

The most I dare try is a simple smoother, in Maple. I have the iron etc, but I am a bit worried about wasting Maple!

Regards

John :)

Thanks for the feedback, Folks! Very kind :D
John- I do have a metal lathe for that side of things. You'd be surprised what you can do with just a drill, files and a hacksaw, though.
Jesse - I used a router to remove the waste and cleaned up with a gouge.
Martin -I could tell you how to do the boxing but the "High Guild Of Planemakers" would have me hung......... :lol:
Cheers

Benchwayze":et6arr8u said:
The most I dare try is a simple smoother

Of the bench planes, a smoother is the hardest, due the fine tolerances, and high expectations. If you're looking for a starter project, a scrub or jack would suit better (or somewhere between the two).

Both are fairly easy to make, and well worth making.

In particular, scrubs are quite rare and expensive in the s/h market, and yet easy to make.

My personal prejudice also tends to the thought that a dedicated shooter has a good reward ratio; high mass, square body, low angle and a skewed blade; not available commercially (AFAIK), yet moderate in constructional difficulty. In particular, fine mouths are difficult to achieve in a low angle design, but a shooting plane, working on end grain does not suffer from tear out (!!!!) so a superfine mouth is not a requirment.

Here's some inspiration:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ing#259375

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ing#133158

BugBear

Back