Pestered by Norton Anti Virus sharks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise how to stop Norton sending me five or six reminders every day, to renew a nonexistent Norton account.
Marking them as SPAM has no effect, and there's no link to cancel, or to reply to ask them to desist. I am heartily sick of it and fear I might accidentally press something which gives then the okay to set up an auto 'renewal'.

My trash folder is becoming overloaded with unopened emails!

John

Have you tried the 'Block Sender' option? I'm with BT Internet (my email address ends @btinternet.com) and I go to their email system to see what emails have arrived. Anything I don't like the look of gets either marked as spam and/or I 'Block Sender'. After I've screened emails this way, I'll then download the remaining wanted emails to Explorer which I use for working with email. Explorer in common with email applications, I believe/think, has a function allowing you to block unwanted emails, or to dump them into your spam folder ... I've never used this system in Explorer; I've never needed to because, as described above, I screen incoming emails on BT's server before I download them to Explorer. Slainte.

If you have an automatic filter on your e mail client folder, (I use Thunderbird) it's possible to set it to automatically re-route nominated addresses either to the bin, to another 'krud' account or as I did once to automatically duplicate the thing copy a return it to the originator then bin it.

It's worth setting up a separate dud e mail address as a home for all this when you think you may be subject to repeated 'schatzenschizen'.

you can make a keyword rule in most email programs to send certain terms to the trash can (norton and any other word that comes with each email may do it, or something in the subject line).

If they don't have an unsubscribe option, I almost wonder if they are spam emails from a third party trying to collect a commission for getting you to sign up for norton AV.

Did your computer come with Norton pre-installed by the manufacturer? Whether you sign up to it or not it may be lurking in the background. Worth a check. If you have, remove all traces of it (not simple)

It's not non-existant if they have your email address and name. You must have signed up or been signed up at some stage. Use the email address and reset your password on Norton website, and delete your account. Under EU rules (which still applies to UK until Jan 1), there is the right to be forgotten. Otherwise you will be hassled forever.
Plus, as Linus said, make sure you don't have any Norton products on your PC. At one stage they were installed by default by sellers.
I highly advise some form of anti-virus. New versions of Windows come with AV built in.
Hope this helps!

My wife and son have been getting them, its nothing to do with Norton its a scam to get you to "renew".

Pete

Fake Norton scams have been around for some years but are having a resurgence. They look like a Norton pop up or renewal, and instal malware. Be very careful.

I use outlook and have many 'rules' set up to filter out all the common scam words. I was plagued by spam emails. I am with Virgin Media and in their email system, you can select to reject ALL spam mail. I did that and it's all gone. It may not reject things like renewal reminders, but you can add rules for what's left. It is also interesting to go to haveibeenpwned and check if you have an account (email address) which has been compromised in one of those big data thefts which happen from time to time. When I check my email address, it has been compromised 12 times when data was stolen from different companies such as Adobe, Linkedin, Dropbox, My heritage, and other data collection companies, from cookies. I also was getting ransomeware demands, one had an old password included. I never trust any company which stores my data. Sooner or later the company will be hacked. I have multiple levels of security now, and use Bitdefender total security, but they can be a pain in the pants to deal with especially when they start sending you reminders to renew........or keep resetting auto-renewal! or update your software to the latest version for free...Woooo! but the new software doesn't have the safe file facility, so you loose access to your encrypted files!! Any financial stuff is on an encrypted drive created by VeraCrypt (free)

Did your computer come with Norton pre-installed by the manufacturer? Whether you sign up to it or not it may be lurking in the background. Worth a check. If you have, remove all traces of it (not simple)

Nope! However it seems to have stopped at the moment.

Thanks

John :cool:

I have been using Avast for a couple of years now. Norton I was supposed to have unsubscribed from years ago. No problems with my Windows PC, which my son built for me. Just the Mac that's in trouble.

Thanks again
John

Latest posts

Back