Personalised markings for items you have made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roberto Flintofski

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, how do you all stamp / mark items you have made either with you "handmade by me" markings or to add personalised messages for people on products you have made? Thanks all in advance

Some years ago I had a guy who used to advertise, make me some small, etched brass plates from a Word template I sent him bearing the words "Designed and made by (my name), (name of town". They came with bronzed aging, but I clean that off and spray them with clear lacquer from a rattle can, before I glue them into a recess in an inconspicuos place, often on the botttom or on the back of a drawer front if there is one. They were quite reasonably priced and I still have many more than I could possibly use before I die. I think the guy who made them did business with quite a few makers, but I heard several years ago that he was in poor health so is quite possibly dead by now.

Jim

Something in the terms of Sculpfun S30 Pro or Comgrow Z1.
This machine in your link has its perks but, in my opinion, it is overpriced. At the same time, an open frame engraver has its advantages, it all depends on your needs.

If you want to buy one I can share my choice after I am done researching. In the last 2 years since I got mine there have been some neat improvements to the diode laser technology.

Regards,
Brad

there are a lot of companies producing good lasers now - worth researching precise models and makes to see if there are any known issues as not all are simply plug and play they can have quirks...
I have a NEJE small one and a larger more powerful XTOOL laser - which cuts as well as engraving...

I have the family metal stamp, it embossed our family name into the piece with a quick tap of a hammer. It’s nice to think it was my great grandfathers, used by my grandfather and father and now by me. When my time comes to hang up my hammer and saw I hope my son will take it through to the next generation.

I use a shining penny piece with the late queens head showing
(bless her) total cost one penny 😄

Attachments

• 22B170BD-1B94-4139-B07D-4D64F6FDB97B.jpeg
    22B170BD-1B94-4139-B07D-4D64F6FDB97B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I use a pyrography pen with 'wire' tips. I made up a tip which burns a C shape and use this to burn a central O and a C on each side, then use a writing tip to add in the quarter circles on the outside. As most of what I do is turning it is nice to have a mark with rotational symmetry!
IMG_20230424_113319651.jpg

I have rarely done any repair work, but once I did undertake a re-glue on an old (Late-Georgian) side table. Nothing elaborate, but it entailed dismantling the top in order to remake the joints. In the process I exposed the tops of the legs which had an old George IV halfpenny hammered into one of the joints.
Dunno why but it made my day and the owner, too. We left it where it was for someone else to find it.

But, I'll echo the point about a maker of metal name-plates who used to be here many years ago..... almost 20 or so I'd guess.
I had a stack made which were 32 mm diameter and had my name an the word 'Maker'. These went on the larger pieces that I made for general consumption.

After the old table repair, I always inlay a coin underneath the plate with that particular year's date.

One day some one will find them..........
Otherwise, on smaller stuff, I'd secrete a penciled date etc inside, well out of view.

If it's worth making - it's worth the commemoration.

Many years ago I restored the bellfry door to Henfield Church in West Suusex. This solid oak door was 'restored' previously (Victorian era), then fiiled and painted/grained to look like oak! I had the whole surface shot blasted (gently) which exposed that the the restorers' had crudely carved their initials and date into the door face (then filled the whole surface with plaster of paris) . The Vicar was keen to keep them (history?) and wanted me to do the same, I didn't want to do that, as the door was finished with wax. so I stamped my name and date along the hinge edge of the door.

Latest posts

Back