Pen making.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmagnet

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got my lathe,tools,mandrel,pen parts and wood ready to start then i read i need a live centre for the tailstock :? What i would like to know is can i use a jacob's chuck instead of a live centre? HELP! :wink:

:( I don't know anything about pen making at all Kevin - never having made one in my life, but a Jacobs chuck and a live centre in the tail stock are two completely different things and perform very different functions.
A live tailstock revolves - a Jacobs chuck doesn't - or shouldn't.

What lathe have you got Kevin? I have the odd live tailstock floating around under my bench. If mine would fit, I'll send you one.
Maybe some other members of the forum have the odd one kicking about,
mine incidentally are for 2MT fit.

kevin":3x7o4gx9 said:
.....can i use a jacob's chuck instead of a live centre?

As has already been said Kevin, no way for the task you are attempting, If it was a task requiring low speeds then you could get away with a fixed centre either mounted in the morse taper or held in the Jacobs chuck as long as you kept the point lubricated or were turning green wood like on a pole lathe, but for pen turning you really need to run at as high a speed as possible due to the small diameter in order to get an adequate surface speed and this would result in excessive friction between the steel of the mandrel and the fixed centre.

:oops: Posting at 2.30am when you're tired and not thinking straight is not reccomended :oops: I don't know what i was thinking about, a jacob's chuck for a live centre :shock: :lol:
Thanks for the offer Jack but mines a 1 morse taper, ah well hopefully santa reads this forum :lol:
And thanks for the advice Chas, i've a lot to learn. :wink:

Hi Kevin, if you go to Woodworking online.com you will find a great video on pen turning, look on the right hand side you will see Podcast # 26.
enjoy. Thomasb ( John ) :roll: :roll: :) :)

Many thanks Thomas, there are so many places to look it get's confusing. :lol:

you can get a live centre anywhere cheap kevin, any problems just shout. regards colin.

Latest posts

Back