pen blanks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wozza

Reaction score
Can anyone please recommend any pen blanks?

I have used acrylics and have had 3 in a row explode on the mandrill, is this common?

All came off e bay, wondering if it a case of poor quality or me!

I have found some hybred blanks on the net and they look the cats whiskers, but near £10 each.

Any views?

WW

When did they explode, was it turning from square to round did it give the appearance of chipping or was the material coming off in ribbons.
If it chipped before exploding it could be polyester blanks which need a gentle touch to turn, acrylic need to be cleared more often of the ribbons of plastic.
Another reason the can explode is if the blank is drilled oversize and has left void between the tube and blank. In which case you need to pay particular attention to drilling and not let it get too hot along with using the correct sized drill. Next is the glue if it is a good fit then CA is suitable but any slight gaps then use two part epoxy glue (which is what I use all the time)

wozza":2ffpet0w said:
I have used acrylics and have had 3 in a row explode on the mandrill, is this common?
Personally I would say no
All came off e bay, wondering if it a case of poor quality or me!

Suspect it's mostly down to you, either tool sharpness/presentation and or adhesive problems already mentioned.
As said sharp tools and gentle progress without creating heat.
I have found some hybred blanks on the net and they look the cats whiskers, but near £10 each.

Any views?
Don't tackle expensive hybrids until you have mastered plain acrylics, they may well need more finesse in fitting and finishing.

Don't bother with acrylic, use wood instead....simples.. :lol: Let's be honest plastic isn;t proper turning really....

Latest posts

Back