Pen blanks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Established Member
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me what the standard size is for pen blanks ,if there is a standard size that is ? :?

I'm not planning on getting into pens, I hate throwing good wood out if it can be used, I've got quite a few strips Laburnum, cherry,oak,elm that I can put through the bandsaw and pass on for just the cost of the postage if they are of any use to anyone :shock:

Dean

Dean.
SWMBO likes these pen turnings,so no doubt i'll be going down this slope soon.
See what you mean though about the bits of waste,which it's not if you can do make pens or even bobbins.
More to think about :roll:
Paul.J.

Hi Dean,

As a pen turner myself, going below 12mm square is cutting it fine for size.

Different widths can make different pen types. 12mm + for Slimlines.

But for the fountain pens, rolllerballs, cigars etc, you need 20mm square.

The reason is the size of the brass tube that is put inside each blank.

7mm for slimlines, and 10mm for the bigger chunkier pens.

If you are interested in how pens are made, have a look at my web site, in the "Gallery".

Also, I would make the length of each 150mm standard.

Hope this helps.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the welcome.

Glad you are going to give pen turning a try. Strange because I would love to try some furniture making.

Having admired Sam Maloof chairs etc for sometime I would love to try. Maybe someday!!! :D

That's the beauty of woodworking.So many avenues to explore :D
I'm afraid though Mr Maloof is way,way,way out of my league :roll:
Paul.J.

hi dean, i cut my pen blanks 25 x 25 x 160 mm cos some customers like big fat chunky pens, as others like the slimline ones, every one is different like kenny says not everyone likes turning pens but i do cos it it so theraputic. ps, welcome to the forum kenny,nice sit you have there, and some even nicer pens.

I cut my pen blanks at 18 square - 150 long, means I can sell at 'Large letter' size for £0.83 postage.

Chris.

Hi Kenny,

Excellent site.

My problems with pen turning have really been with the quality of the mechanisms. I have had several pencil mechanisms that have failed after only a small amount of use. I know they have not been mis-treated because one I used myself. This makes me very reluctant to sell or even give my pens / pencils away.

Where can reliable mechanisms be obtained. (my previous mechanisms have come from Turners Retreat).

Scrums wrote:

I cut my pen blanks at 18 square - 150 long, means I can sell at 'Large letter' size for £0.83 postage.

Chris.

What a coincidence! I just won 10 blanks on Ebay, which was sent at .83p postage and were the exact same measurements.......in fact, even the Ebayers username is the same as your website name. Now that IS a coincidence. :lol:

Latest posts

Back