Pen blanks, Elm Burr Please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beejay

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in urgent need of two blanks of Elm burr 18x18mm by 150mm. Theyre for a set of Jr, Gents as a gift and the blanks I thought I had,,, well, I haven't.:?
I can buy, trade, whatever is required if someone out there is able to assist.
regards, Bill

Thanks Neil.
I dont really want to buy a load from ebay and would therefore be very grateful if you could check later.
I can swap for some nice acrylics or exotic woods if anyone is interested or pay plus p&P
regards, Bill

Hi Beejay,

Understand what you mean about buying in bulk, I've amassed a large stock of assorted timbers now. Managed to get hold of a few Masur Birch pen blanks recently, which are like rocking horse poo...... rare!

A swap would be good if I can find what you're after :D

I'll let you know either way tomorrow latest.

Cheers,

Neil.

Probably a silly question. But where did you get the Massur Birch blanks? I love that stuff and it would be great to have a pen for myself made from it.

Hi all you Pen Turning people.......

Whilst you're congregated around this post - can I ask you some questions (as an occasional Ebay trader of pen blanks....)

Bulk lots - is x10 too many?
do you go for mixed packs?
in English hardwoods - what do you really want?

Cheers,

Chris.

Beejay,

Good news, I've actually got about 25 myself. If you want to PM me with a contact number and suitable time to contact you I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Chris,

Personally 10 is fine, I've bought upto 25 at a time in the past, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

It also depends on the postage, sometimes it's just as cheap to post 10 as it is 5 and that keeps the 'unit' cost down.

In English hardwoods I'm looking for burrs/interesting tight grain/unusual colour - like the purple streaked yew sometimes available.

Wizer,

I got the most recent 4 from ebay a couple of weeks ago. While searching for the burr elm I found another 5 (that I'd forgotten about!) which I got from the USA ebay a while back. I've got a commission to make a pair of Masur pens for someone at work who saw mine which is gorgeous, but that's more to do with the timber than my amateur turning! . If you just want one for yourself I'm sure I could help you out at what it cost me (£1.50 each), or maybe a suitable swap if you've got anything unusual or interesting. PM me contact details and I'll call you as well.

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil: PM Sent

Scrums: I'd have thought that tropical and unusual timber is advantageous to pen turners. Great way to show off unusual timbers. I'm never going to sell pens myself so bulk buying would only be attractive to me in mixed packs. Say 2 of each. If your going to sell on eBay then I'd just test the water. List 5 packs of 10 and 5 packs of 25. See what goes the quickest.

Thanks for those replies, on principle I only do English - there's so much good stuff about if you can find it.

You guys are so picky though....burrs and spalted and interesting stuff !!!! :(

As a non pen turner, I look for yew, laburnum, spalted woods, grained elm etc. Make great finials or bobbins. If the grain or colouring is dramatic it shows up better on something as ssmall as a pen or bobbin.

Pete

chris, i love all english woods. but my customers prefer the burr woods.
thats because of such nice patterns in the timber. all i can suggest is you start another thread with pics of your blanks for sale. if you got some nice blanks they will sell. i am very interested to see what you have.
here is where i get mine from

www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42762

Purely out of interest. Can I ask where you guy sell your pens? Just Craft Fayres? Shops? T'Internet?

Hi,

Out of the discussion of elm pen blanks I ended up talking to Wizer about Masur Birch pen blanks. I was fortunate enough to get hold of a few and have a spare that I'm passing on to Wizer as he's keen to make one for himself.

Anyway, seeing as I've never posted any photo's before I thought I'd give it a go (thanks to TEP for the tutorial). A colleague asked if I'd make him a Big Ben & Slimline Masur Birch for him and his wife, below are the results of today's turning. The 'top' slimline is really unusual, almost a Masur Birch burr by the looks of it!

Wizer, hopefully yours will be similar! Looking forward to a photo eventually.

Cheers,

Neil.

Nice sets of pens Neil and a good finish to match.
The Masur Birch is very attractive and I can see why its prized so much by the turners in the US.
Regards, beejay

Back