Pedestal table WIP - Finished!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":1ueaaifq said:
Looks good to me. It's considerably more challenging than at first glance, isn't it?
S

You're bloody telling me!!!!

Can't remember ever spending so much time thinking, figuring out and then thinking again and refiguring. Still, - saves me having to talk to the wife :D :D

I really do love reusing old timber and turning it into something new. Currently have quite a store of 'stuff' waiting to be converted and more than enough projects to keep me going for the rest of the year (and probably most of next).

For all sorts of reasons I ran out of WIP steam (no surprise there!) but I have today finally finished the table, - pictures below (taken in my 'finishing room' which SWMBO wants back as her dining room).

Have to say that I'm rather pleased with it and almost hope the client (MiL) won't like it so I can have it!

It's been a really challenging build for me with the sliding dovetails and laminating of the rail underneath (which wasn't part of the original design but does actually look good).

Finish is gel stain, 1 coat of shellac, 2 coats of danish and then a wax.

Completely recycled wood from an old dining table.

P1030508.jpg

P1030512.jpg

P1030511.jpg

P1030505.jpg

Nice thread. And remember, when you look at it, you'll think about the difficult bits, and the things that went wrong, which you shared with us.

Everyone else will just think 'that's a nice table'!

Excellent. :)

That sounds like a lot of work to get a finish but, it looks superb. Note how even and clean the reflection is on the top - always a good sign! :wink:

Look forward to seeing your next project.

Fantastic work - just read the entire thread, very impressed with your approach, choice of timber, and the finish is excellent.

Nice job...I made something like this once (a dumb waiter in fact) and I know how tricky these sorts of things are. If I were to offer just one nit-picky thing I'd have done a bit more 'shaping' to the central column rather than have it as a slender 'flower vase' shape, but then that's just me being a pain.

I had some of that old Victorian mahog once and it's luuuuuverly stuff :wink: - Rob

Thanks for all the comments.

It's very rewarding to have people who I know can turn out some really good work praise what I've done (even if only photos).

Olly - yes the finishing does sound like a lot of work when listed like that but in reality it's only a few hours work. It was worth it because in the flesh the finish is really good (I would say that wouldn't I!) and the timber just glows.

Cerdeira - the apron is laminated thin strips (about 2.5 - 3mm) glued around a former.

Woodbloke - correct, that mahogany is just a dream to work with. Still have a bit left (including 3 table legs) and wondering what to do with it.

The final thanks should go to Steve M because without his jigs and some advice via PM's I'd probably still be producing sawdust in search of the final product!!

Back