PEC Combination square clamp screw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossJarvis

Established Member
Reaction score
After many years loyal service, I've dropped my PEC combo square once too often on a concrete floor and the clamp screw's bust :cry: . The importers, Linear Tools won't sell me one and they don't seem to supply anyone near me.

Anyone got a spare? or know an easy way to get one? I don't want to rob a cheap and nasty one off a cheap and nasty square as they just don't "feel right". The proper one is blackened steel, v chunky and smooth as a babies' wotsit.

The PEC jobbie feels just too right, being made of half a ton of cast iron (okay, maybe slightly less). Plus, despite being the victim of gravity over concrete more times than I'd care to admit, it was still pretty spot on square

That happened to me, I got a replacement bolt (Whitworth thread) cut the head off and filed it to fit the ruler.

Pete

Grey enamelled stock? I've got one of them and I've had two clampscrews. Both of which were made of cheese.
When it (eventually) came back to me with a replacement one, there was a snotty handwritten bit of text on the invoice presumabley from one of the fixer people stating "Clampscrews are a consumable". How much do you have to slide it up and down the ruler to wear it out? Certainly not enough in the 3 months I'd had it by that point. Doesn't grip onto the ruler slot properly causing the ruler to fall out during use.

I've got a lovely bright orange Bahco one now and its not failed me at all, still keep the PEC one for when I have two (or three) squares on the go otherwise you could have had mine!

-Matt-

I killed 2 orange bahco ones before I worked out how to make new screws as Pete described. The original screws are made of... brass! Still now have two combi squares so can't complain.

Can you not just make one, at least it would work then.

I suppose Pete's route is probably the cheapest way to go, but I am feeling a bit lazy :oops:

Mines got a blue paint (powder-coat) on it, not much sticky either. I think the main reason I like it is that it is nice and chunky.

Cheers guys.

Back