PC in the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently picked up a couple of cheap PCs for workshop use.

These Dell SX280s are very compact and can be picked up for £20-£40 on ebay.

The nice thing is that they are small 250 x 250 x 90 mm and yet quite capable typically 2.8GHz P4

Add a free cycled lcd monitor, keyboard and rodent and mount on the wall above the bench in the workshop.

IMG_1625.jpg

Fits in nicely in what is otherwise some wasted space between cupboards. The shelf cum monitor mount fits in around dust extraction ducts for the saw table underneath.

IMG_1624.jpg

Naturally the computer is used for woodworking plans but with a swift click of the mouse distractions various are available :lol:

IMG_1626.jpg

Bob

It would not last very long in my W/S, I cannot even see out of my windows for dust. The floor corners I have not seen some for years.

devonwoody":3ugeqbd1 said:
It would not last very long in my W/S, I cannot even see out of my windows for dust. The floor corners I have not seen some for years.

That is why it is about 7 feet off the floor - I expect it will be a while before my sawdust builds up to that level!
It replaces a laptop that has been in there since February and that gave no trouble. Just got a brush over the keys and screen every now and then.

Bob

wouldnt bet on it - PC's are a dust magnet - give it a couple of weeks then carefully open it up - should have a nice warm layer of dust inside it...

having saud that - check it out sooner, lots of heat and wood dust,,,not a good combo...

I'd be tempted to put a filter ( homemade from extrator bin prefilter perhaps ) on that fan intake.

Hi, Bob

Just blow it out every now and then, it will be fine.

Pete

That is my plan Pete. All the heat sinks are arranged in a line between two fans with a cover over the top to make a tunnel for the air flow. There are very few electronic components in the airstream
The fans only run at any speed when the PC is working hard which won't be when I'm making dust. The power supply is external had needs no cooling and is a single 12v pack.
These small PCs from Dell seem ideal for workshop use and cheap too.

Bob

The problem with these machines is they suffer from the capacitor plague. Also, the power supply bricks can be a bit of a weak point but are easier to replace than the caps on the motherboard.

I needed to come up with something to cater for the Keyboard & Mouse
Comfortable to use -at least for short periods - and to protect it when not in use.

Another shallow drawer seemed to fit the bill. It is angled at about 6 degrees which is comfortable to use and when closed maximises access to the power sockets on the wall behind. It runs on 250mm full extension slides from (Buller £3.50 per pair)

Now you see it....
IMG_1645.jpg

Now you don't.....

IMG_1644.jpg

Bob

Back