Paying through the nose ?!?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiffy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just invested £160 in what I thought would be a sound buy, in a Dewalt DW682K biscuit jointer. After trying to calabirate the thing I can only say that I am more than a bit dissapointed.
Firstly, the scale on the fence is out by 2 degrees. Setting the stop at zero, and then trying to set at 90 can only go around as far as 88, hitting the stop at the other end.

The motor, or more accurately, the gearing in the front section is very noisy. Like a clattery metallic roughness that just does not feel or sound right.

The biscuit slot is is out by about 3 tenths of a mm across the width of the blade. Is this acceptable for these machines?

To top it all, I have noticed that it is almost identical in rating, and the design of the fence, gearbox and slotter housing section to the Clarke biscuit jointer. I mean, it looks like it comes from the same factory, and it is £100 cheaper.

Can someone please convince me it is OK before I send it back using Dewalts 30 day no quibble guarantee.

Cheers,
Ray.

It isn't - take as look at the Mafell LNF20 or go to the older DW "swing" biscuit jointer (aka Elu DS140). Streets better :wink:

Scrit

Well I brought a DW351 circular saw by mail order a year ago and found that I could not set the blade for a 90-degree cut. There was a major failure in communication over nine weeks between the supplier and Black and Decker, the manufacturer tried to get out of its 30 day satisfaction guarantee by insisting I had the tool repaired, this was despite the fact they and the supplier had been told of the fault within the 30 day period.
The retailer eventually replaced it with a new saw but I was so disappointed by the lack of support that I have recently replaced it with a Mafell saw.
My observations on De-Walt? I don’t think they are worth the money these days, with the standard of service I experienced I would rather buy a ‘disposable’ Power tool made in the Far East than another De-Walt.

Hope this helps
Mike

After Scrit praising the mafell biscuit jointer LNF20 on here before I went and bought one from D&M tools and I must say it is alot better built than the Dewalt one which I also looked at. The fence on the dewalt looks cheap where the Mafell one clicks nicely at all the set angles you need. I have not checked out how accurate it is but it definatly seems spot on to me when I have been using it. The Mafell one is about £225.
Cheers Kevin.

The Mafell LNF20 also comes in a nice systainer box with a lift out tray for your biscuits.
Cheers Kevin.

Thanks for your replies.

The reason I have worded the subject of this post as I did is because I am starting to get the feeling that Dewalt are seriously damaging their reputation putting out rubbish like this biscuit jointer and a planer that I also own.

I am convinced that they are rebadging cheap imports (the jointer is built in Mexico...not USA, Germany or Italy) and as I mention, I am certain that the jointer section of the tool is shared among cheaper alternatives.

All my Bosch, Hitachi and Metabo tools feel like money well spent and have proven and justified their expense.

Oh yeah...and the garish yellow plastic gets grubby just by looking at it. Yes I know its a tool, but it helps it to look cheap as well as feel.

This will be the last Dewalt tool I buy. Overrated? ...I think so.

At least their cases are good... :)

I've got an old Elu biscuit jointer (equiv to the DeWalt 685). Bought it secondhand from a full time bench joiner who had just purchased a new one. Even after a hard former life I can't fault the fundamentals and accuracy.

matt":8q03f7c7 said:
I've got an old Elu biscuit jointer (equiv to the DeWalt 685). Bought it secondhand from a full time bench joiner who had just purchased a new one. Even after a hard former life I can't fault the fundamentals and accuracy.
That's the old DS140 - I've still got one of those and it's now approaching 25 years of age and still going strong...... The only downside is the inability to set angles other than 0 and 45 degrees, for which I have the Mafell, but other than that I concur. Beautiful piece of kit - and you can even use it to saw grooves for hardboard backs on carcasses :lol:

Scrit

Just out of interest, how often do you guys use angles other than 0, 90 and 45? I have used mine once in a blue moon to do 45's (let alone other angles).

I have the DW682 and I agree it is a bit noisy - but its reasonably easy to set up and stays where its set. I think that the dust collection port is a pain but that seems to be a prob with most machines I have seen.

Ray - it does sound like you have reason to complain and either get a refund or change machines (at your decision not theirs).

Cheers

Tim

Another vote for the Mafell here. A joy to use. Spoilt only by the stupid depth stops (requiring two spanners - not supplied, in contrast to the rarely-needed standard screwdriver -supplied).

But once they have been repaced by a nice, standard machine screw, adjustable with a screwdrive and spanner, it is an excellent, excellent tool.

This is my second BJ, and I bet 99.9% of my jonts have been 90 deg.

Cheers
Steve

What is it with Black & Decker? I've always said that they are a firm of tinkerers. They start off with a good product and then keep tinkering with it until they reduce it to a piece of junk.

In their day they have made some really good stuff but every one of their tools goes the same way.

Used to have an HD 1000 circular saw that was really good - they ruined that.

They bought Ron Hickman's Workmate and ruined that.

They bought up Elu, re-badged it as DeWalt and it now looks like they have started their damned tinkering again.

They just don't get it.

Angry from Bookham :evil:

Smiffy

Yes that was actually my feeling about the DW351 circular Saw, I felt the quality of manufacture pointed to it being made in the Far East and rebadged De Walt!

Mike

[I am convinced that they are rebadging cheap imports (the jointer is built in Mexico...not USA, Germany or Italy) and as I mention, I am certain that the jointer section of the tool is shared among cheaper alternatives.]

Back