Parquet Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigrich21

Reaction score
Need some advice, I want to make a dining table with a parquet top.

I plan to glue the teak parquet to either MDF or Plywood, advice on which is more suitable and at what thickness?

Then to surround it with oak, not sure which type of joint to make at the corners?

I am unsure what style or design legs to make, my original idea was to then surround the oak with L shaped steel with a steel box section legs but the wife doesn't like the idea.

I guess you can buy off the shelf Oak legs?

bigrich21":3r7yxyzi said:
Need some advice, I want to make a dining table with a parquet top.

I plan to glue the teak parquet to either MDF or Plywood, advice on which is more suitable and at what thickness?

Then to surround it with oak, not sure which type of joint to make at the corners?

I am unsure what style or design legs to make, my original idea was to then surround the oak with L shaped steel with a steel box section legs but the wife doesn't like the idea.

I guess you can buy off the shelf Oak legs?

Either MDF or ply would do but you need to consider moisture resistance and stiffness. MDF will "blow" with water spillage unless its moisture resistant MDF which is more expensive. Also the stiffness factor depends on the span of the top. On balance I would use ply personally. Its better with water and the laminated design makes it much stiffer and more rigid. You'll need a minimum of 3/4" thickness and depending on span either 1" and a frame that provides adequate support (ie the legs and apron sub frame).

The corners joinery with the oak trim would typically be mitred but that's just a style. Maybe peruse through some designs online or in a book and see if that's the one you prefer. Nothing wrong with butt jointing it, if you prefer that style. Mitres give an elegant finish which might suit the parquet top.

If your timber supplier doesn't stock turned oak legs then I would suggest you doctor either newell posts or thick stair spindles (again all depends on size of table). I've made projects before robbing spindles for legs (piano stools usually) and they work really well. Last approach could be to go to a charity shop or similar bric-a-brac and see if they have any cheap tables you could nab the legs off. Or commission someone on here to turn you some. Or, if modern is the desired style a tapered non turned leg. (Doubt you'll get those off the shelf tbh)

Good luck and post some pics once you get going

I have just made a dining table using newell posts for legs and oak worktop for the top, I must post some pictures.

Just be aware the aren't solid oak.

Pete

Thanks for the replies.

After speaking to someone today I may make the outside edge with Ash instead of Oak.

They also suggested that it be "floating" , not glued to anything so that it can move without splitting.

I will definitely use ply, probably 24mm for stiffness.

I will get some photos on here as soon as I start, I may even put some pictures on of my utilitarian shoe and coat cupboard that I have nearly finished. An effort to try and keep the hall tidier.

Back