Parmesan tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really anything to do with woodworking ... I assume that's why you posted under "General Woodworking" :D Sorry.

It's been known for years that you shouldn't buy Parmesan or any grana padano in grated form. Or probably many other cheeses come to that.

OK, I'll bite while we're off topic!

Phil wrote, QUOTE: It's been known for years that you shouldn't buy Parmesan or any grana padano in grated form. Or probably many other cheeses come to that. UNQUOTE:

Interesting, can you say why please (serious question)? I buy both Parmesan and Gran Padano in grated form (as well as solid) regularly, and - as far as I'm aware! - suffered no ill effects - so far anyway.

AES

Well, at least it did come from another woodworking forum! Does anyone read the "off-topic" sections of these forums ?

Just shows how little I know about cheese but what you say makes sense. It's like buying PAR wood when you can do it yourself - less product for more money. However, it is good to know I'm not the only one in ignorance on this topic.

Jim

AES":22l7x6vw said:
Interesting, can you say why please (serious question)? I buy both Parmesan and Gran Padano in grated form (as well as solid) regularly...

The more air, the greater the likelihood that you'll get mould or loss of flavour.

Grated cheese has loads of air space around it.

A solid block doesn't - and if the surface gets a mould spot, you can cut it off and the underlying cheese will be unaffected.

It's mainly down to loss of flavour just like freshly ground coffee is more flavoursome than pre-ground.

Rod

AES":3v9giumw said:
OK, I'll bite while we're off topic!

Phil wrote, QUOTE: It's been known for years that you shouldn't buy Parmesan or any grana padano in grated form. Or probably many other cheeses come to that. UNQUOTE:

Interesting, can you say why please (serious question)? I buy both Parmesan and Gran Padano in grated form (as well as solid) regularly, and - as far as I'm aware! - suffered no ill effects - so far anyway.

AES

Because it is well known that they are frequently adulterated, even if only with inferior cheese to that for which you are paying (often dearly). As well as the above reasons.

OK, thanks all. We keep grated in the freezer after buying until 1st opening. Then in the fridge after that (doesn't take long to be finished off!). Don't see/taste any problems compared to fresh grated.

Agreed about loss of flavour in one way, but taking Parmesan as the prime example, a block bought here (Switzerland) tastes a LOT different to a block bought "fresh"in Italy - mainly a lot more salty here.

Anyway, thanks all. Just wondered.

And BTW yetloh, Yes, I do read the Off Topic section - I just picked up on the lead already there, 'cos I really didn't know the answer.

:D

AES

There was a surplus of Parmesan some while back and the market was getting saturated, forcing the price down. Rather than allow this to continue the Italian government gave ton upon ton of it to to the poor - and got paid for it by the EU.

Back