Panhans or Martin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sieoil

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just looking if anyone has had experience with panhans machinery. I was looking at a Martin T 75 when I came across a panhans v91. Must say I was blown away with the panhans. Think they are big in Germany . Decision to made next week so any advice would be great. Will keep you posted.

Both great saws, I was looking at a T75 a few years ago, in the end I just couldn't justify all the additional computer functions so opted for a basic Altendorf.

Hi thanks for that,

Really wanted the 2x45 saw as it makes the saw so flexible.

Bought the V91 due to its build . The panhans it a better built machine with the saw aggregate hanging from the top.

The Martin does not do this and releys on a complicated mechanism to stabilise the arbor.

Went for the V91 basic at £18k and I must say I was so impressed I order a Panhans spindle moulder the 245.

Just got to save up for the planer thicknesser now.

Don't tell the wife.!!!!

Hey everyone, just like to say that the panhans spindle is in and working a treat. Very fast to set up and store programs.

My friend came over to have a look at it he has a T27 Martin and he likes the Panhans better. He says his T27 take ages to load programs and if he tries to use it like a traditional spindle it trips out. He says his guys have used panhans before and he wishes he had gone down the same route.

I can recommend the Panhans as a premium spindle moulder.

Planer thicknesser next unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Panhans are very nice machines, but sadly they went bust a few years ago and the name was bought by a small company called Hokubema. They are still producing some machines but have not had much money to invest in R&D for their machines so they have slipped a little. It's also worth looking at another German spindle by Hoffmann machines if you're in the market for a top end spindle moulder.
Hoffmann has its after sales service supported by Weinig uk, Martin has a network of 5 regional distributors in the uk for after sales service. panhans has only one after sales agent in the uk it's always worth considering the support aspect when buying this level of machine.
Cheers

Scosarg

I've never used a Hofman Spindle Moulder but I have used a Hofman planer and that was an astonishing machine, there was a power fed adjustment to set the amount of concavity you wanted on boards, so on the fly you could set a bit more for jointed boards and none at all for other boards, or compensate for any minute knife misalignment. Having said that it did have the normal Tersa block and I've recently seen a few examples of planers and thicknessers with the Felder spiral block, and that really is a huge leap forward in planer technology. Too late for me I'm afraid, I doubt I'll be replacing my machines any time soon, but if I was ordering today I'd definitely go for the Felder spiral block.

With the top manufacturers you can specify which type of block, Tersa, conventional or spiral. There is also a German system of blade holders that you can retro fit to planers to take the pain out of setting.

Hi,

I went with the Panhans V91 too - awesome machine with little maintenance. The sliding table is as smooth as they come - I had a machine with the ball bearing type previous and was a nightmare. I think only Altendorf and Panhans have the roller type. Altendorf don't do a twin tilting saw so I can 100% advise the Panhans.

I was took over to the Panhans factory by the UK agent. It was a top class facility - very impressed. I cant imagine this company being bust as scosarg put it (think he's a dealer of another brand!).

They also have another side of the business BECK - this is all pressing and lift tables. Very interesting.
www beck-maschinenbau de
I think this company bought them out - might be what he means.

I also am about 250 miles from the UK base - but they have trained engineers everywhere. I had a small problem (turned out to be my fault) and it was sorted next day.

This is the website for the Panhans machines:

woodworkmachinery co uk

Have a look at the twinplan planer - next on my wish list

woodbutcher

Back