Panel saw with Ebony handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klaus Kretschmar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi woodworkers,

our latest saw. A 22" panel saw toothed at 7 tpi rip.

P1040637.jpg

P1040638.jpg

P1040639.jpg

P1040640.jpg

P1040641.jpg

The handle shape is rather new. Currently we're at it to create another one for smaller panel saws. But I think, this fits rather well for saws with 22" or longer. The blade isn't tapered. Though it's only 0.032" thick, it feels pretty stiff and sturdy, we're happy with it.

As you might spot, this saw is one of our first ones that has a medallion. Like the screws the medallion is stainless steel that was polished. This saw will have its shop in the UK 8)

Thanks for looking.
Klaus

Now that's a saw I would buy =D> =D>
You'll have to wait until I retire though :roll:
Beautiful.

Kalus, you and Pedder are the Larry Flynt and Hugh Heffner of my universe, you naughty naughty men. Every time my other half comes in when I'm looking at your saws, I have to quickly switch my screen onto some hardcore prawn so she isn't offended
:oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a real beauty, and it looks like it would work very well indeed.

I like the handle design, with the finger-hole about half-way up the blade. I think that saw will balance beautifully. I like the fact that the heel of the toothline doesn't come too far back; I think you could use the whole length of that blade, without the handle preventing the last two or three inches cutting most of the time as tends to happen with the more modern 'handle set forward' position.

With panel saws, it's a bit debateable whether taper grinding the blade makes much difference. Panel saws tend to be much lighter to use than full-length handsaws with deeper, thicker blades, so weight-saving isn't really an issue. If the blade near the toothline clears the kerf nicely, the blade nearer the back will too. I read one article somewhere (Chris Schwarz? Adam Cherubini?) about a comparison between two panel saws otherwise identical, one taper-ground and one flat-ground; the conclusion was that there was barely any difference. All the hardpoint saws I've ever had were flat-ground, and they cut well enough (when new!).

Superb work. I think it's new owner is going to be delighted.

Many thanks for your comments.

A few pics how it cuts. The cutting action is quick and smooth, the saw leaves a kerf of exactly 1 mm. The wood has the thickness of 45 mm.

P1040643.jpg

P1040644.jpg

P1040645.jpg

@ Droogs

you and Pedder are the Larry Flynt and Hugh Heffner of my universe

OK, but please allow me to be HH then ... :lol:

Klaus

Back