Painting Over a Stained Fireplace

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_g_ster

Established Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I stripped back and stained an old fireplace surround that was previously painted in a pretty hideous colour. Now I am changing the room a bit and it would look pretty good painted a plain white (well, that's what the other half thinks). (Then again I am taking her to Axminster on her birthday, so I can't complain).

My question is what is the best way to get a really nice finish to the old pine. I am guessing I need to fill the small indentations and really give it a light sanding. Will the paint stick to the stain or do I need to do anything special?

Thanks in advance.

G

don't suppose you remember what the brand of stain was, that would
tell you what it contained, and then you could figure out.

i would think you might need to go for one of those primers which
they suggest will stop colour bleeding through, never works on
white over red though in my experience.
or you might try mdf primer, found that useful when painting over
mfc kitchen doors.

paul :wink:

the_g_ster":1dsqxp94 said:
A few years ago I stripped back and stained an old fireplace surround that was previously painted in a pretty hideous colour. Now I am changing the room a bit and it would look pretty good painted a plain white (well, that's what the other half thinks). (Then again I am taking her to Axminster on her birthday, so I can't complain).

My question is what is the best way to get a really nice finish to the old pine. I am guessing I need to fill the small indentations and really give it a light sanding. Will the paint stick to the stain or do I need to do anything special?

Thanks in advance.

G

www.milkpaint.com

if its red burn it and get a new one/ otherwise try the trusty medium sanding/ followed by fine ish,/,dont forget to give it a good two under coatings first, ive had good results even over oil based stains and varnishes,

Back