Paint finishes suitable for interior wood in direct sunlight

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy rivers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm working up some designs for a desk and chair that will sit ALL day in front of a south facing, floor-to-ceiling window.

The immediate concern is the materials and their UV exposure from the constant sunlight. The customers' previous pieces (brown / Georgian Repro. furniture) have faded badly. My initial thoughts have been to move away from timber products completely and look towards Glass, Metal and Stone. However I would't like to rule out wood altogether as it's the material I have the most experience with and it is less likely to blow the budget out of the water (less sub contracting). I am considering an open grained wood (Ash) with a painted finish exposing the grain texture/ pattern .

Does anyone have any experience with (-or- recommendations for an) interior paint finishes for wood and how they fair with direct exposure to the Sun's UV rays?

Thinking out loud.... a painted window cill sits in the sun all day :? ...but then is it often painted?

Thanks Jim

On wood, spray applied pigmented waterborne lacquer from Morrells should do the job quite nicely I think James. Slainte.

James, I can't think of a standard paint (i.e., reasonably priced and readily available from normal finish suppliers) that will perform any better than the Morrells finish I suggested. If you use a water based paint there's the brush or roller marks to consider as potentially aesthetically detracting. And if you go oil based, again there's the brush marks, but there's the very long cure time (sometimes weeks/ months) where, pre full cure there's potential for painted surfaces to bond one to another, or to bond with things sat on the surface, e.g., books sticking to bookshelves. Of course, you can spray both of these types of paint but to get best results you generally need one of the airless sprayers as used by decorators and the like, which I don't think you have. Slainte.

My preferred application would be to spray the Morrells waterborne paint ( 'Fast match' for custom colours?) Our set up is a HVLP Fuji Q4 turbine system with a gravity cup.

I've been very pleased with the results of the std white and have been surprised on how hard it sets up for a waterborne finish.

I plan to drop Morrells a line on Monday to get some tech info (if any) on their paint regarding UV exposure resistance.

Thanks again.

Back