Padding a box?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dino

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. Just wondering if any of you have any tips / ideas what to use as a padding for the inside of a box.

I'm planning on turning a gift box over the weekend which I'm making mainly to house a gift I bought for my girlfriend. Problem is I'd rather not have it knocking against the wood on the inside of the box as it may damage it.

Any tips on how to actually line the inside of a box as well? It's will be about 1.5" in diameter and just over 3" deep.

Thanks.

Don't try to stick anything straight onto the inside of the box.
Instead, cut a circle of card for the bottom, cover it with thin foam and cloth, turning the edges of cloth over and gluing them to the back. Size it for a snug fit, holding it in with a few spots of glue if needed. Do a similar job for the sides by cutting a strip of card which will roll round and fit inside when covered with foam and cloth. Uhu is a good glue for this sort of job.

That's a fantastic idea.

In regards to the foam what type of foam am I looking for? Does it have a specific name? I'm finding a lot of polystyrene stuff when I throw it into google.

The thin stuff you get wrapped around new electronic stuff is good. No idea where to buy it. You might be able to dismantle a padded envelope and get enough for a small box.

Might have some in some old boxes come to think of it. Thanks again.

I use sheet closed cell foam. This I get in camping shops as a "MilMat" or similar, a thin foam that you are supposed to lay on to sleep. it is usually sold as a roll, about 6' x 3'. Price about a fiver if you look out for it, check Lidl etc as they occasionally sell it. I buy the cheapest when I see them and have a spare in stock.....

It is small closed cells so doesn't pick up water, and is reasonably robust, firm but flexible. It cuts with a sharp knife precisely leaving a good edge. Can be stuck with Evo Stic type glues (others available).

Only downsides ar it is a thin sheet, but you can glue it together to form slabs if you need it. I don't like the green, the Blue is quite classy tho.

Some of the mats have a layer of foil on one side, but I find that can just pull off if you need it.

for a 6' x 3' for a fiver or so you can't go wrong.

I use a small piece as a pad behind Abranet as a soft sanding pad for general use, also on the lathe.

hope this helps.

I have a feeling this is what I need. I'll probably just buy them online since I have no idea where any pound stores are near me.

Back