padauk - oh so red...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumps

Established Member
Reaction score
I have saved the shavings from a bowl yesterday because they were so red, and in the back of my mind I thought I remembered some reference to making a stain from them.

Any suggestions? Do I soak them in a spirit, or water, or what? Worth doing or stick with my Chesnut stain?

Thanks as ever.

jumps":c2ub913i said:
I have saved the shavings from a bowl yesterday because they were so red, and in the back of my mind I thought I remembered some reference to making a stain from them.

Any suggestions? Do I soak them in a spirit, or water, or what? Worth doing or stick with my Chesnut stain?

Thanks as ever.

stick with my Chesnut stain

I think you answered your own question :wink:

Hi Jumps,

I think you could easily make a stain out of Padauk. The main problem with it, and you will shortly find this out with whatever it is you made, is that "Padauk Red" quickly turns to "Padauk Brown". The Chestnut spirit stains are at least light fast, which means they have some resistance to UV rays so they should stay the colour you want for longer.

HTH

Richard

ah - sort of reverse purpleheart then?

thanks for the advice - better photograph the bowl quickly and move it on then :) (I wouldn't do such a thing of course)

cheers for the prompt advice

Latest posts

Back