Oversize pen tube holes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a number of corian blanks last week from ebay, pre-drilled with a 7mm hole.
Went to use the first ones today too discover the holes are somewhat oversized. Poking the vernier up there, the holes measure anywhere between about 7.2 and 7.6.
Looks like they started nice, but wobbled about, as they vary end to end.

I can live with the holes slightly oversized, but 7.6, pushing it a bit? It even looks way too big.
Should I just use plenty of epoxy instead of my usual CA method?
Or just send them back :roll:

I had problems with wobble, even using the drill press and a mini vise. Couldn't figure it out. Realised eventually I was trying to drill through too quickly and the bit was burning through parts of the wood. Maybe these folks are doing the same? Too much hurry to get them ready to sell? Or maybe they know about the sizes and are getting rid because they can't use them?

hmmmmm..... :-k

well.....

how many have you bought..? i.e. was it just to try a new material..?

how much were they..? i.e. can you afford to put it down to experience..?

Definitely won't be able to use CA glue.... so a good dollop of epoxy (or the like) will be required

Like the others have said, if it were me i'd be contacting the seller to let them know. If they were cheap he/she may even say sorry here's a refund and just dispose of them... :wink:

To be fair, with care you should still be able to turn a decent pen tho.

What colour blanks are they..? if you like i've got a few here that i'll pop in the post for you to try (hammer)

Nick

That's about 1mm too large overall as a 7mm tube is around 6.7mm. Epoxy will definately take up toe slack and won't affect your pen, I assume you're turning slimlines.
Whether you send them back or not, you should definitely complain about it though.

As an aside, are the blanks too small, i.e. 12mm, for a larger kit? Also I've recently seen mention of slimlines that screw together rather than push fit and I believe they take 8mm tubes so you could drill out slightly for a good fit.

Bob

I bought some from a different seller on ebay before, and liked using it, so decided to get a some more.
The blanks are really only suited to slim lines types looking at the sizes, and are in halves already.

I will drop them a message in a bit then. Thanks guys.

Back