Our new bed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
I just wrapped up a new bed for my wife and I. It's constructed of solid maple -- about 100bf worth. The finish is analine dye with a wiping-poly topcoat. All of the structural joints are drawbored mortise & tenons.

bed1.jpg

bed2.jpg

bed3.jpg

bed4.jpg

bed5.jpg

Thanks Philly!

It's exactly what she wanted. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to finishes. I like a clear finish or possibly a light stain. But, she wanted black so I came up with something that she'd like and still let the grain show through. I "aged" the finish by sanding the corners and edges after I'd had a few coats of wipe-on poly on there. I think it came out pretty well. We're going to have ebonized maple in the bedroom with the oak being downstairs. I get to keep the oak natural. :D

Dave,
Nice bed and an interesting finish!

I have just been ebonising sycamore for various handles and I am not totally happy with the lack of translucency I achieved, whereas you seem to have achieved what I was after - what did you use for stain?

Hi Chris,

The stain is an aniline dye that I picked up from Lee Valley. It was easy to mix up (using water) and I didn't have to use as much as I thought.

It's easy to apply. I'm sure that you'd have to watch for blotching on woods like pine and cherry. You do need to raise the grain prior to application, due to the water in the mix. I highly recommend it. Because there is no binder, you need to topcoat the dye with an oil or varnish finish to seal the wood.

I'll definitely be trying out some different aniline dyes on future projects. The lighter shades do a lot to highlight the color in certain woods.

mahking51":2dp9c6u3 said:
All you need now is a set of those kinky black satin sheets..... :)
Regards
martin

LOL...........just couldnt see the eyelets so swmbo can be tied up or handcuffed so you can go out for more workshop time

nice job

Ian

Dave,
Nice Bed. Are the rails permanently fixed to the ends or on some sort of detachable hangers?

Andy

Waka":2rv99o4f said:
Dave

Like the bed, any pic's on construction etc?

Umm, well, err, no . . . :(

That was an oversight on my part. Should have taken those. I had to come up with a lot of shop built helpers to support the rails while I cut the tenons on the table saw. I also built some bench supports to hold the posts while I cut the chamfers with a block plane.

dedee":2w0xoe2r said:
Dave,
Nice Bed. Are the rails permanently fixed to the ends or on some sort of detachable hangers?

Andy

Hi Andy,

I used these http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40444&cat=3,40842,41269 that I picked up from Lee Valley. They're not what I'm used to, in terms of bed connectors, but I thought I'd give them a try. They're stout and do the job nicely. They're nice because I didn't have to mortise them into the posts

Back