Our Man Graham....PW Writer Extraordinaire!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Jim, I hope I can keep it going :D

Excellent stuff CC. I was not aware of those details. As with Corneel's post the more links and info the better! Fortunately for me drying times can take as long as they want but outside.....

G S Haydon":32egvl7l said:
Cheers Jim, I hope I can keep it going :D

Excellent stuff CC. I was not aware of those details. As with Corneel's post the more links and info the better! Fortunately for me drying times can take as long as they want but outside.....
Drying times with Holkham Hall paints aren't too bad - you just have to plan your work around it. Also dries well in cold weather - it doesn't depend on evaporation but oxidises instead.

White lead was used almost universally as a drying agent. Very toxic stuff. Something to be aware off when rubbing down old finishes.

Thanks for that article Graham. Having studied organic chemistry at university and with a degree in biochemistry, it was a nice, if predictable, read. It makes me wonder if an alkyne fatty acid might make a more robust finish. But probably doesn't make the cost benefit equation.

How did you get hold of a copy of Shephard's book? Classic Handtools aren't going to stock it and it costs more for postage than the book itself. I couldn't justify the expense.

Looks a goodun. "For instance did you know you can wash oil paint and oil resin varnish from your brush with soap and water?" well yes I did know that and it's one of the good reasons for using linseed oil paint - no solvents or cleaning materials needed beyond soap and warm water. Better still you can leave your brushes suspended in oil but covered to prevent oxidation. A year later they will still be good enough to use straight from the oil - and you could use the same oil itself as a primer. No wastage at all.

jimi43":3ckmpdyp said:
G S Haydon":3ckmpdyp said:
Thanks for checking in chaps. They do indeed seem very popular CC. It's something than none of the previous three Haydon's had. Both My Great Grandfather and Grandfather had tool bags when they needed to be mobile and tools hung on the wall in the workshop. Typical example below. Perhaps handcarts and leather bags will be the next big thing :lol:

I did some generic internet searches but drew a blank on Mr Langmaid, it would be nice to find out a bit more.

What a superb picture mate! That is so wonderful!

Re Mr Langmaid...I'm sure that THE PROF could track him down...he's pretty amazing at that sort of stuff!

Jimi

Jim has now helpfully reminded me of this little challenge, so I have had a go, and bearing in mind that this is all speculation, I have found a family who fit the story rather well.

Graham, I started by assuming that your antique viewing was done in Devon, and with Langmaid being a rare name, searched there. One person jumped out of the records.

Henry Langmaid was born in 1820 in Polruan, Cornwall. His father, William was a journeyman shipwright.

At the age of 20, he shows up in the 1841 census, living in Polruan, where he too is recorded as a journeyman shipwright. (His 15 year old younger brother William was an apprentice shipwright - there were plenty of ships round there.)

By 1851, the next census shows him living in 7 Nym Street, Stoke Damerel, Devon. Stoke Damerel became part of Devonport, which has since been absorbed into Plymouth. He is still working as a shipwright. He has married but his wife has died, leaving him with a daughter aged 15 and a son, Henry aged 2. His unmarried sister is living with the family as a housekeeper.

In 1852 he gets married again, to a Devonport girl, Rebecca, and the 1862 census shows them still in the same house, now with an extra daughter. Henry's occupation is recorded, even more clearly than before as "Shipwright, HM Dockyard".

If you read along the census records, most of the street seems to have worked at the Dockyard - the neighbours included joiners, shipwrights, a 'superannuated sawyer,' a ropemaker and some seamen.

Henry died in 1878. His son, Henry, did not follow his father's and grandfather's trade - but he shows up in 1881, aged 32, living in Sheffield and working as a schoolmaster. By 1891 he was back in the south west, 'living on his own means' in Liskeard. He was still there in 1901, presumably with his father's chest safe and sound, waiting to show up over a century later!

So, if my wild guesswork is right, and this was Henry's chest, he is likely to have made it early in his career, maybe around 1840. I think it's lasted rather well :lol:

Andy...you truly ARE...THE PROF!!!

Wonderful stuff...I bet you enjoyed that once you found the link!?

Now all I need to do...armed with this ammunition...is to ask my friend Dr Paul Langmaid if he is related...and we have the six degrees of separation!

Superb Watson!!! The game is afoot....! 8)

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Jimi

Bravo Andy, Jim warned me you were part of MI 6, NSA, KGB :lol: . I like the story a great deal. My only thought is that I think there is an "A" before the Langmaid so I'm thinking the owner had a name beginning with A? Having said that the A does also look like an H so perhaps you are spot on! Thanks for taking the time to look :D

G S Haydon":16ewqyln said:
Bravo Andy, Jim warned me you were part of MI 6, NSA, KGB :lol: . I like the story a great deal. My only thought is that I think there is an "A" before the Langmaid so I'm thinking the owner had a name beginning with A? Having said that the A does also look like an H so perhaps you are spot on! Thanks for taking the time to look :D

Hmm, well I took it to be an "H" but it could be an "A" couldn't it? That would possibly match with Archibald Langmaid, born in Liskeard in 1863, listed in the 1881 census as a "builder", but in the 1901 census as a "retired joiner" although aged only 38, living at 1 Albert Road, Devonport.

It's all speculation really, and all we can be sure of is that when the Devonport Dockyard was in its heyday, the streets of Plymouth must have been full of men who had their chests of tools and knew how to use them!

Now I am worried Andy, it took literally moments for you to get that knowledge =D> ! I know where to come when I need detective work 8) . How on earth to do find it so fast?

It's not that difficult really. We have a subscription to one of the online family history sites, and it doesn't take long to revisit a search for H Langmaid and change it to A Langmaid. ;-)

You could of spun a good yarn there Andy :). Perhaps you're throwing us of the scent of your true connections :). I've only dug through the census records for Haydon but it was fun dipping my toe into the past.

Well...the plot thickens!!

I got a reply back from my friend, Dr Langmaid...and it's reproduced in full below....

Hi Jimi,

This is very intersesting as my Great Grandfather and ? Great Great Grandfather came from Polruan to Cardiff in the later 19th centrury, called Richard, he ran a boat buildong and repair business, associated with the coal trade in Collingdon Road, Docks, Cardiff.

Funnily enough, less than a month ago, I had the original of my Grandfathers indentures to his own father framed ... I will attempt to take a phot of that in daylight to forward to you.

I will also copy this to my brother in law who has much more knowlege of genealogy than me, and my cousin, who too keeps good records.

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to send the item, much appreciated

Regards to both you and Annie,

Paul

So we shall see what information we get back from his brother-in-law!

Cheers

Jimi

Latest posts

Back