Osmo finish on intricate carvings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuna808

RICHARD
Reaction score
Has anyone used Osmo Polyx-oil Rapid on intricate carvings as a final finish,carvings are on teak.

Well no replies probably means that no one has used Osmo for finishing intricate carvings.So I emailed Osmo who promptly replied suggesting I wipe the teak with white spirit and then apply very very light coats.
Today I have started with three of six chairs and given them the first coat which seems to have gone down well…….I keep the forum up to date on the final results……so far so good!

I have used it on pretty detailed cnc carvings.
I have found the trick is to saturate it as normal, wipe of excess and then blow compressed air into any fine details. This blows out any excess from the nooks and crannies onto the surface then you can wipe it with a cloth. If you don't do this you will get too much build up in the detail which won't dry properly.

Ollie

I’ll try blowing out the excess on the next three chairs,I have to go to the workshop later and see how the first three chairs dried.
Theres always a bit of apprehension when you’ve spend so many hours on a project and the have to take a decision on the finish.
Initially I was thinking of NC lacquer but did a trial and wasn’t happy with the finish.
Second coat going on today so let see what happen,the first coat seemed to be drying very well when I left the workshop last night.
Thanks for the contributions and advice.

Decided not to give the first three chairs which had the first coat the second one.
The first coat had dried well on the carvings but not totally dry on the legs.I don’t think Osmo like enclosed areas with limited ventilation as,I basically gave them a coat late afternoon and closed shop.The weather was also a bit humid last night so that didn’t help.
I decided to give one of the other chairs a light coat at home where it’s warmer and also applied the coat at midday……and sure enough it made a significant difference and within two hour it was dry.
I have brought the other chairs home and within the hour they’re almost totally dry.
It looks like they’ll be good to go with two coats as recommended by Osmo.

4CDC4EAA-9823-479D-99A4-B3570ED652AC.jpeg
DF040DBC-7762-4B5F-90A8-53DBF01FE282.jpeg

All the six chairs have had their first coat and they have dried beautifully ,I think the second coat will do it.
Osmo is an amazing product until it’s fully dried it doesn’t bring the wax to the surface.
There are some simple processes to follow which I will list for future reference once I finish and can illustrate some of the processes.

The chairs have now had their second coat after I waited for over a week to allow the Osmo to cure well.The first coat dried well but I wanted to apply the second coat with a westerly wind which brings warm and dry air here.
A second coat has proved to be enough to give the chairs the finish I was looking for.
For future reference these as the steps I followed.
1.Wiped the wood with white spirit and did not handle the wood without gloves from then on.
2.As recommended I applied the first coat with a good quality brush …..and as light as humanly possible!
3.Made the mistake of applying the first coat late in the day and closing the workshop…….Osmo on woods which are not very porous need plenty of ventilation to dry…..it was still not fully dried the next morning but as soon as I placed them in a well ventilated area the cured within the hour.
4.Rubbed the first coat with non abrasive kitchen pads ,which worked a treat.
5.Waited for ten day for the finish to fully cure ,by that time the weather had changed to a warm westerly wind ,which helped the process of drying tremendously.
6.The second coat surprisingly enough seemed to accept more quantity but still was applied as thing as possible.
Osmo goes a long way and I used a baby food jar to give the six chairs two coats.
brush cleans very well with white spirit.
I will post photos of the finished chairs once they come back from the upholsterers.
Probably post them under the Project forum.
thanks for the contributions.

Latest posts

Back