OSB - which side?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm preparing to get my workshop floor done this weekend (at last!) and I have received my sheets of 18mm OSB for this purpose. When I went and checked them out earlier I noticed that one side is flat and the other side is sort of micro-corrigated - does it matter which side up I put these? I've never used OSB before, so I'm new to such exotic timbers :lol:

Cheers all,

V.

I wouldn't have thought it mattered. The 'micro-corrugated' side might act as a non-slip surface which could be an advantage.

Come to think of it, does anyone have any advice about how to treat this stuff? I'm not planning on putting tiles or anything on top of it, and being a garage/workshop it's going to be wet from time to time. Can anyone recommend a sealant to paint this stuff with before I lay it and then maybe a decent paint to improve the durability a bit? I don't want to have to replace the floor in a year's time because the panels are all blown with damp.

I can't help, but I do knwo if you are using it as roofing boards (I am), you should use it with the textured side up.

I guess it helps the felt adhere.

Adam

Some OSB panels react differently from plywood when they get wet. When OSB is manufactured the cut edges are sealed with a special waterproof paint. Carpenters destroy the watertight integrity of OSB each time they make a cut that exposes wood fiber edges. These cut edges are prone to swelling after they get wet. It is possible to seal these edges after they are cut, but it may be tough to find a carpenter willing to take the time to perform this extra step.

Didn't know that.

I built a garden tool shed with OSB cladding. I coated the outside of it (not the visible side) with a rubberized roof paint intended for waterproofing roofs, which I bought from the local Wilkinsons store, It has been out in all weathers for 5+ years now and no sign of deterioration. I assume that on the underside of your floor it wouldn't matter about the colour i.e. black.
And it's quite cheap!

Latest posts

Back