OSB 3

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks.

I have a t&g oak floor to lay but need to put a subfloor down on top of the joists first, is osb 3 suitable or should I use an exterior plywood instead?
I'll prolly be using tounge-Tite (sp?) for the fixing of the oak to the subfloor.

Regards.

:)

Why not use 18mm chipboard flooring?

This means you will have joints between the boards rather than a butt edge

EDIT

Now I have read up on OSB3 flooring I would go for that.

I would use wisa flooring ply but I do not have to quote other people prices they might not like (for this sort of thing).

Ive used osb3 as a sub floor for oak flooring, although that was a flloating engineered floor not solid oak

I dont think osb would hold tongue tite screws sufficiently well so maybe ply would have better screw holding.

RobinBHM":3hby85g8 said:
Ive used osb3 as a sub floor for oak flooring, although that was a flloating engineered floor not solid oak

I dont think osb would hold tongue tite screws sufficiently well so maybe ply would have better screw holding.

This is good advice =D>
There's a lot of power in that oak and I agree with Robin, the screws could pull out.
I once saw a solid oak floating floor by Junckers that had crushed 15mm copper pipe feeding radiators.

Back