Ordered one of these the other day. One of the first in UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrYorke

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this has briefly been mentioned before but they finally arrived in the UK and I'm now waiting for one of the first to be delivered.

http://centipedetool.com

I've decided on getting the larger 8x4 version mainly for the workshop so I can free up a little space when needed. It'll then be used on site where possible. I may end up buying the smaller version but we'll see.

I'll do a review as soon as I can.

I look forward to the review. I wonder whether the mft top could be fitted?

Hmmm, seems like another faddy item to me.

The major issue I can see is that you'll be restricted on reach across the 8x4 version. At least with a solid bench you can kneel on top to reach full width.

My only concern, before I receive it, is how well it holds up to being on uneven ground.

I was tempted by one of these, I saw it on Kickstarter originally, for the US only Kickstarter price ($65 and $125 for small 4' x 2' and large 8' x 4' respectively including delivery) I was interested - I'd probably have bought one on impulse.

I registered interest with the manufacturer and got an email from the UK distributor the other day - at the 'special' launch price I'm afraid the impulse is no longer there!

I'm sure he's charging a fair price after import fees etc., and everybody's got to make a living, but the shine's gone off the deal for me.

One concern I had is that the design lends itself well to working where you can set up on flat surfaces, less so if you've got to work on uneven ground where a pair of trestles will work better, so if I've got to have a couple of trestles anyway...

For anyone who's interested, they're being sold by CompleteTool ( :lol: :lol: ) in the UK; the 'special' launch price I was emailed was higher than the price on the website, so the pricing on the website may not be up to date.

We had tents in the fire brigade using the same sort of technology, they were quick and easy to put up, but on one training session one person forgot to loosen a retaining strap and several of the plastic 'nuckle joints' broke up into lots of little pieces.

I too will be interested in a review.

Baldhead

MMUK":1xag3nkq said:

The major issue I can see is that you'll be restricted on reach across the 8x4 version. At least with a solid bench you can kneel on top to reach full width.
But for where you don't have the option of a solid bench, they may have a use- the driveway or on site perhaps.

marcros":2cq7bqnk said:
MMUK":2cq7bqnk said:

But for where you don't have the option of a solid bench, they may have a use- the driveway or on site perhaps.

I like the idea, and add a sheet of OSB you've got a semi-permanent bench (the Kickstarter site shows 2 guys standing on one!) - as a way of adding an assembly bench I think it's great - at the US prices.

I've also worked with the equivalent shelters as Baldhead mentioned - we had a couple fail for no apparent reason with bent struts and they were immediately beyond repair.

You could always put some adjustable screwy bolty feet thing on each bit that touches the floor. It'd become part of the setting up ritual - get 3 corners on the ground then wind the final corner down so they bone up. Straight edge from corner to corner winding down the ones in between- then boom, nice flat BIG surface to work on for the day. Compact size would make it ideal for keeping in the van all the time, but...... I don't really need to cut up 8x 4s on site very often- but I could start :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I use a sheet of insulation board over 2 sawhorses - set my tracksaw blade correctly so it just goes through the material and I can make a thousand cuts before I need another £10 sheet of insulation board. Insulation board is very light (goes up in the workshop rafters when not in use), wont damage the blade of my tracksaw when it contacts and is strong enough to support a door. My plastic Stanley sawhorses fold to almost nothing and cost £20.

glynster":q0qhl2os said:
I use a sheet of insulation board over 2 sawhorses - set my tracksaw blade correctly so it just goes through the material and I can make a thousand cuts before I need another £10 sheet of insulation board. Insulation board is very light (goes up in the workshop rafters when not in use), wont damage the blade of my tracksaw when it contacts and is strong enough to support a door. My plastic Stanley sawhorses fold to almost nothing and cost £20.

That matches my current setup - which is why I cheaped out on the Centipede.

Hi

Looks very insubstantial to me - in order for it to work all of the verticals must telescope and there doesn't appear to be any locks on them so will tend to telescope in use, restrained only by the diagonal braces :shock:

It also looks like it can only be used on a flat surface as there appears to be no way of adjusting the 15 feet of which the inboard 3 would be a joy to access.

A couple of saw horses would be my choice, this is solution looking for a problem.

Regards Mick

I am also waiting to receive the 6'x2' version supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I like the portability and quick set up of them. I am cautiously optimistic though.

Thanks for all the comments. Good and lots bad.......without even trying it.

Looking forward to getting mine and will try and be as unbiased as possible until I get hold of it.

First positive was that I was expecting 3 days delivery but will have it in 2!

Looks like it would be very handy when hanging wallpaper or assembling not too heavy pieces of furniture in a cramped shop........... but for general workshop use it looks just about as practical as an umbrella aboard a Grimsby trawler....... or however that English saying went......

These have been about for years. We used to use them as cutting tables for vinyl when out on site. Very handy.

There was a company a while back making a much better bench. It was called benchmark, I tried to get a dealer here to ship a few over but the company went bust recently so that won't be happening.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Back