Orbital Sanding (Metabo SXE 450)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perry

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple of questions regarding my Metabo SXE 450 sander;

Does anyone ever use it WITHOUT the turbo boost function? I use it to sand wood and I can't see why I'd ever use it on the 'slow' setting, maybe that's for sanding something much softer like filler or plaster?..... It seems to me that it would just slow the job of sanding wood down a lot.

It came supplied with a cling fit sponge polishing disc which is about 4cm thick, what on earth would this be used for? Would it be used with some sort of compound?? It also came supplied with a lambswool polishing thing, I assume this would be used on car bodywork with a car polish (maybe on the slow setting!), does it have any other uses?......

I'm sorry if these questions seem ridiculous, I'd just like to make the most of excellent sander and searching google just brings up the items for sale!

I use a Makita orbital with adjustable speed and rarely have it on max. When maxed out the paper seems to skid across the wood rather than bite in. Also, a slow speed is useful for sanding edges where full control is useful...

I have used it without turbo, 3 minutes later I turned turbo back on hehe.

The bonnet is for buffing.

If an item needs the edges sanding or slower speed ill just use a palm sander.

I would turn the turbo off if using it to finish or buff a piece. I have used the bonnets on a coffee table before to cut back a varnish and I have used it to buff wax in.

I find somewhere around 4 or 5 on the speed dial perfect for sanding oak with 120 grit paper. I then drop to 4 for 240 grit. This seems to give me the balance of control, finish and speed that works for me. I only use the turbo button for particularly rough areas.

Its horses for courses and depends on the work/material. That why its variable speed I guess :D

James

Latest posts

Back