Quantcast

Options for boarding garage ceiling and walls?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
Planning on insulating the walls and ceiling of my garage over the Christmas week and can't decide what would be the best material to use for boarding. Plasterboard is cheap, but is not very durable and will not doubt get bashed.

I was thinking shuttering ply, but that is going to work out costly. Any other options.

I did wonder whether I could just use hardboard on the ceiling?

Thanks

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd plasterboard the ceiling and ply the walls though MDF walls would be a bit cheaper. Hardboard can move a bit with humidity changes unles you get oil tempered.

J

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
OSB rules! If you want loads then check out e-bay. It can be a pipper to paint nicely however, so if a good finish is high on your list of priorities then go for ply

Steve

Blister

Still at it after all these years.
Reaction score
It can be a pipper to paint nicely however
I did mine with

Primer

Undercoat

Top coat

No problems and it was fast to do with a 6" roller

:deer :ho2 :deer

Lowlife

Established Member
Reaction score
18mm OSB is great, cheap, and strong enough that you can screw a shelf anywhere you want it. I covered mine with lining paper then emulsioned it, it's a good enough finish for a workshop.

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers Chaps. Plasterboard ceiling and OSB walls. Sounds just the ticket.

kirkpoore1

Established Member
Reaction score
If you have room, paint (or at least prime) the OSB before you put it up. Since it's fairly rough, it can be hard to get some areas fully covered if you can't paint from several angles. I've found painting OSB to be frustrating unless I really lay the paint on thick, but it's still a lot better than leaving it bare.

Kirk

WoodMangler

Established Member
Reaction score
You might want to consider increasing the fire-resistance before you paint - I gave mine a thorough coating of 'Flametect' before I painted (white emulsion).