Opinions sought re: drum sanding options

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FogggyTown

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to be getting more into "shaped" and curved projects (but not turned) as opposed to flat box-like stuff. My sanding needs are therefore going to be more demanding than my current ROS, OS, bench belt/disc, palm belt. I'll need to be able to work on rounded inside curves, for one thing.

So I'm thinking entry level oscillating bobbin sander like so:

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sp-5 ... ryID1=7363

But I am wondering just how much extra capability one of those offers compared to a decent pillar drill and a drum sanding set like so:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DK2047

Aside from the up and down action (which AFAIK adds not much to the actual finish but does prolong drum life) there doesn't seem to be any essential difference. Am I missing something? (Again!)

FogggyTown":48eo5rfd said:
I think I'm going to be getting more into "shaped" and curved projects (but not turned) as opposed to flat box-like stuff. My sanding needs are therefore going to be more demanding than my current ROS, OS, bench belt/disc, palm belt. I'll need to be able to work on rounded inside curves.

Aside from the up and down action (which AFAIK adds not much to the actual finish but does prolong drum life) there doesn't seem to be any essential difference. Am I missing something? (Again!)

But the up down action is for the non clogging of the drum ,while sanding and also not burning in lines(BUild up of particles on the sanding drum)
A good vac would take quite a bit of dust away but you still get a little build up esp. if you are pushing it...I like the air drum sanders that you inflate to the size you need.

Hi,

Has anyone used Axminster's own cheaper version of the Carroll drum sanders here? I'd be considering this to "top up" my next order :oops:

Boz

Hi Foggy

I use various drums in my small Delta benchtop drill press and I find it is less than ideal and have often thought about an oscillating bobin sander.

The main issues are..

The drill press motor starts to get very hot with prolonged use.

Dust extraction is a compromise, i've thought many times about building a base I can hook-up the extractor to and extract via a drawdown recess.

For larger pieces the whole lot is upside down, i.e. the drill body and pillar gets in the way.

Biggest of all. I fear that the sideways pressure on the drill head is knackering the bearings.

The Woodstar one turns up in various guises if you shop around and I think I once saw it wearing Draper badges in Machine Machine or somewhere like that for less than £100. It looked very sturdy.

I'm hoping someone will come along with a review.

Cheers, Jon

I started with an Axminster drum then bought a Carroll - this is much easier to reload - or maybe I got it wrong.
I made an extractor base using 25mm mdf - a 450 x 30 piece with bolt holes for attaching to the drill press - 4 strips of mdf glued around the sides to support the glued-on top - again mdf - about 600 x 400. In the middle of the top sheet I cut a hole that the sander will just fit into. Into the base sheet I drilled a hole so that one of the extractor tools is a push fit. It works fine even with a smaller bobbin. A hole on one end and a slot on the other lets me mount an adjustable fence. If you want a photo, I'll work out how to send one.

I have one of the Axminster bobbins that have been referred to in earlier posts and I think they are great value for money. I was lucky enough to get hold of a 1/3 hp induction motor,rated for continuous running, (rescued from a skip at work) with a 5/8" shaft. I simply mounted the motor on a piece of 18 mm ply, sized such that I can clamp the board in the face vice on my bench in either a vertical or horizontal position. I used it in the horizontal position at the weekend to shape a new handle that I made for an old pig-sticker mortice chisel...it worked brilliantly and the handle was ready for a coat or 6 of BLO straight off the bobbin. I do need to make some sort of table so that I can keep edges square and definitely rig up some sort of dust extraction. I am also thinking about developing it into a little thickness sander...I saw a plan for a drill press one somewhere out there in web land but I can't find the link.

Back