Operation straight shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roombacurious

Established Member
Reaction score
When about 3-4 years ago I started getting interested in woodworking one of my first projects was to build a garden shed. Our garden is rather small and in two levels with an almost 45 degree slope between the two flat(ter) parts. This arrangement renders the upper part useless for anything else so I decided to build the shed there. I came up with a design that was simple to make and has the door on the side.
Now my construction methods at the time left much to be desired and the shed was built using butt joints held together with screws and nails. Nothing fancy or particularly sturdy but anyway. Underneath I used fence post type timber to form a base sitting on the ground covered with some type of damp-proof membrane. The end result fit the bill at the time as storage for tools and the lawnmower.
But as it happens... the garden tools started to gradually get ousted and woodworking tools crept in in ever increasing numbers until the shed became a "workshop" - and saw much more use than originally designed for. Although I'm pleased to say that it's still standing and the roof is not leaking it has however developed a different unexpected problem: it started tilting! (the pics are from my camcorder and unfortunately not very clear)

1.jpg

Pretty obvious! It seems that my base was not as flat as I thought or the ground under the front of the shed has subsided. End result was a 10-15 degree forward tilt and some bowing of the floor supporting timbers.

2.jpg

Although I doubted that the shed would come tumbling down the slope or would fall apart I had to do something about it. So after hours of moving all my stuff (opportunity for a clear-out as well) into the house (thankfully SWMBO and kids are on holiday!) operation "straight shed" started.

First I fixed a chain plate onto the adjacent wall.

3.jpg

Then I tied steel wire rope round the front wall. It passed through a 7mm hole drilled into the sidewall.

4.jpg

A bigger hole was made into the back wall to let the hand puller attach to the wall plate.

6.jpg

Just before starting to pull.

5.jpg

The hand puller is surprising powerful and I was amazed with how easily it did the job. Over corrected initially,

7.jpg

then settled in a more vertical position.

9.jpg

I used some leftover slabs to support the front part of the shed.

8.jpg

Then I used wire rope again to attach the roof supporting timbers permanently to the wall plate.

15.jpg

All that was left was the hole in the wall but it was temporarily patched up. I'll probably fit a louvre vent or something similar.

16.jpg

The hand puller. Very impressed with it especially for the price.

17.jpg

Now the next challenge is to bring all the stuff back in! :(

Thanks for looking!

George

Ingenious solution - with a slope like that,you did well to get the shed to stay there in the first place!

Andrew

Now that it's straight....can you shut the door?. The hinge line looks definitly crook in the "before" photos. :)

more importantly, now that it's striaght ,,, put one diagonal cross braces in ... then it cant move again !

Hi George, thats some shed you have there! Looking at it I wondered why you didn't make more use of the large and solid brick wall and what the purpose of the triangular area behind the shed is ?

Regards Tom

It all has to do with the shape of the garden really. The wall and the house are not parallel so I had to chose which one the shed should be parallel to. I chose the house for aesthetic reasons but inevitably this left a triangular space at the back. Its purpose? Mainly hiding junk! :)

If I made it now it would be quite different, and indeed I would have used that wall as the shed's own back wall but... there is always next time! :lol:

Back