Oops, or why not to rush things...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
It was only one short cut I needed, the table saw was set up and the mitre saw not accessible, so I put the mitre gauge on the table saw and made the cut.

I'd checked that there were no nails in the wood so was somewhat surprised when sparks appeared
And then it dawned on me...

...I'd cut the end off the mitre gauge! #-o #-o :oops: :oops:

Why am I posting this demonstration of my ineptitude?
To remind everyone to be careful and check what they're doing carefully. Especially when you're in a hurry...

Attachments

• WP_20130603_001.jpg
    WP_20130603_001.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 322
Well at least if it is only aluminium you have probably not damaged the blade terminally. And nothing red appeared. :)
It reminds me of the guy who was cutting tubing on his SCMS, holding it to the fence with his thumb inside to stop it moving...

Did you know that Ron Hickman developed the Workmate because he accidentally cut through a dining chair he was resting on?
S

Oh dear, both ends of my mitre gauge have cuts in them :-( No what's that old saying, once is an accident, twice is ...........

Tony Comber

Must be something in the air :eek: only yesterday i managed to put a nice cut right through mine #-o fortunately it was only a shallow cut so the fence is not a write off :oops: :oops: :oops:

Didn't damage any fences (who would do such a thing ? :roll: ) but I did manage to take off the end of my vacuum hose with a router yesterday :oops:

Won't cost me as much I guess

dm65":267souom said:
Didn't damage any fences (who would do such a thing ? :roll: ) but I did manage to take off the end of my vacuum hose with a router yesterday :oops:

that sucks!

:lol: :lol:

adidat

There's a cut in my sliding table fence too. It wasn't there when I bought the saw. Just makes you (well, me anyway) feel so stupid. Then I read about other people doing the same thing and I don't feel quite so bad - but still stupid.

I also nicked the hardwood fence of my spindle moulder because it was set too close to the cutter head. (talking to someone while setting up). Yep, really stupid.

However I do still have all my fingers.

K

Steve Maskery":b0c0n1be said:
Well at least if it is only aluminium you have probably not damaged the blade terminally. . . .

True, but cutting aluminium doesn't produce sparks.

gauges even...

actually I'm trying to follow some of Steve M's tips for jigs and guides, Can I ask, Steve, are they mostly wood for this very reason ? :D
Cheers!

Back