Online operating system!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a bit of a strange idea. You need a desktop OS running a browser (application) so that you can use an 'OS' and 'Applications'. Why not just cut out the middle man and run applications in your already running OS. A solution to a problem that doesn't exist - which seems to be par for the course in our society today.

The point is desktop personalization for remote workers / users - ie you can log in from anywhere and have "your" desktop, applications and documents to hand in a familiar state. Having said that I think this kind of third party provided system has limited users. I have friends who use this kind of thing on a daily basis but in those cases the system is hosted by their own companies. for reasons of security etc. Any one who needs their desktop available to them where ever they may be will, I suspect, either have the service provided by their company or be carrying a laptop. It may have an application in developing countries where TCO of applications can be shifted away from the user making them available to more users but other than that I suspect it's rather doomed to failure.

Cheers Mike

I think it just goes to show that people have forgotten how to think. They need computing when on the road and don't have a laptop (extremely rare these days) so they feel they have a need for 'familiarity'. If something's that important to you, you don't leave it inaccessible. If it's that important, would you put it out on the Internet? If it's not that important why not think about how to get to it without this silly triple layer? Even dumb terminals were smarter than this back in the 1970's for goodness sake!

Most younger folks don't even know they're in a box, never mind that sometimes they need to think outside it.

And we wonder why India and China are leaving us behind....

Aye, dumb terminals, PDA's, even phones now, along with VNC etc.. all means you can have a proper way to do things rather yet another slow bloated level of code. Waste of time and energy.

I remember when....

I looked after computers that had graphics output, penpad input as well as mouse, and controlled a complex (knitting) machine and the system was limited to 32K (yes, K) of memory. Not so long ago, either. Still have my first "laptop" - it's a bit thicker than this one but about the same size and weight, only it runs on 4 D cells (for 8 hours per charge) and has a massive 128K of memory. It does word processing, spreadsheets, has a simple database and networking package, etc etc etc Only this is, no graphics and monochrome only. Who needs word processing in colour anyway???? When was the last time anyone bothered changing the text colour in a post? Millions of megs (and money) wasted on unwanted and unused 'features'.

Micro$oft has a LOT to answer for.

Back