online auction site with loads of timber and woodworking mac

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytim1458

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi just found a site that is functioning off a lot of American White Oak, Walnut and other woods as well as a lot of woodworking machines of every description and the woodworking items as well.
The site Url is http://www.i-bidder.com/en-gb/auction-c ... ue-id-4110

you can do a search if you are looking for anything on the Ibidder.com site.
hope this helps some people could even get a few people together if lots of wood as could all be shared out if everyone gets together to bid on a large lot of wood.

Thanks Tim

Sssssh ....... if everyone knows about these sites eventually there are no bargains ... remember what ebay was and is now.
if anyone bids remember usually there is 15% buyers premium plus 20% vat, a fair chunk when added on.

'Buyers' premium.
The biggest auctioneering con.

Questionable if it's legal. The only 'service' they give the buyer, is setting up the auction.

That's like saying that in a shop you have to pay VAT on the goods, and also on the fact that the shop is there in the first place.

Benchwayze":2y0c8dwe said:
'Buyers' premium.
The biggest auctioneering con.

Questionable if it's legal. The only 'service' they give the buyer, is setting up the auction.

That's like saying that in a shop you have to pay VAT on the goods, and also on the fact that the shop is there in the first place.

Well only if you are daft enough not to account for it in your bid. Of course it's legal.

I ain't daft and auctions I steer clear of unless I absolutely can't get what I want elsewhere, precisely because of 'buyers' premium.

So according to you Bob, if Axminster decided to charge VAT on the service they provide with their on-line site, as well as on the goods, that would be legal? I don't think so. Opportunist, but not strictly legal.

I think auctioneers tried it on, no one challenged them, and they carried on charging. Just like Microsoft tried it on with their ideas of copyright and license.

phil.p":26frj956 said:
:shock: Wait until you get caught for the bid price........ then vat on that - then lot money.... and vat on that - THEN you'll be glad you did your homework first / wish like hell you did your homework first!

I didn't say auction sites DON'T levy this charge, and I don't need to 'do the homework Phil. I said it probably isn't legal to levy this charge; if it isn't it ought to be. They already charged VAT to the vendor. Ergo. I don't use auctions on-line or off, unless I HAVE to.
:wink:

John, it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular - I was merely pointing out that it's even more expensive when you get caught for vat on the lot price as well. I've seen enough people caught out by that. It can add over 40% to the cost.

Benchwayze":88fzk64z said:
I ain't daft and auctions I steer clear of unless I absolutely can't get what I want elsewhere, precisely because of 'buyers' premium.

So according to you Bob, if Axminster decided to charge VAT on the service they provide with their on-line site, as well as on the goods, that would be legal? I don't think so. Opportunist, but not strictly legal.

I think auctioneers tried it on, no one challenged them, and they carried on charging. Just like Microsoft tried it on with their ideas of copyright and license.

Yes thats exactly what axminster do but they prefer to put their own costs within the price of the item, as all shops do (overheads etc), auctioneers are good enough to actually show you their costs.

I don't see what the problem is, if you bid you know what the final price is, it's not a rip off, it quite clearly states the percentages and vat.

Some cracking bargains to be had from these and other auction sites.
examples :D
£10000 extraction system for £500
£2000 bandsaw for £200
£7000 edgebander for £4000
£3000 saw for £900
these inc the premium, i'm vat registered so not worried about that

Overheads don't have to be advertised as what they are. Most of us realise those costs are there. VAT has to be declared for what it is.

So when I buy something from Axy, I am aware there are overheads and hidden costs, but I pay what it says 'on the tin', and the advertised price is part of the equation when I decide whether or not to buy. That doesn't alter the fact that auction houses, whether they make the customer aware or not, are charging buyers a premium for nothing.

As for bargains, occasionally there are some real 'lemons' on sites such as eBay! Things I wouldn't go near.
That's my take on it Bob. If you don't agree, I don't mind. Be my guest.

I agree with your take on ebay but these other auction sites tend to be failed businesses, sad as it is the stuff is normally well looked after.
At the end of the day, if the purchase justifies it then a visit should be paid.

Out of curiosity what do you think the auctioneers should be charging for their services?

With out stirring the hornet nest any more , but the auctioneers already charge the seller a percentage of the sale value . so they take a double charge of both the seller and buyer .

Kind regards me

Bob,

IMHO they shouldn't charge the buyer anything, because there is no service as such given to buyers. They should be grateful for the custom. 8)

In effect it's double VAT, and probably only half gets handed over to HMRC. Only the VAT charged on their service to to the vendor is liable.

As Dusty said, it's a double-whammy. I think it's typical of Rip-off Britain.

I could be wrong of course, but I don't think I should be.

Benchwayze":3jgwf49t said:
, and probably only half gets handed over to HMRC. Only the VAT charged on their service to to the vendor is liable.

You appear not to understand Vat rules, it's a very very serious business vat. The above is ridiculous.

doctor Bob":ys98ycj9 said:
Benchwayze":ys98ycj9 said:
, and probably only half gets handed over to HMRC. Only the VAT charged on their service to to the vendor is liable.

You appear not to understand Vat rules, it's a very very serious business vat. The above is ridiculous.

Bob,

Maybe. I've been wrong before and no doubt will be so again. It doesn't alter the fact that I believe they are charging 'VAT' on something they don't provide. If HMRC allows them to get away with it, (and they would, wouldn't they?) then so be it. I just don't go to auctions unless I can't source what I want elsewhere.

As for HMRC if I am paying too much tax, they don't tell me and apologise. It's up to me to question them. If I am paying too little, it's me who is to blame. That came from a friend who was one of HM Tax Inspectors. It's not 100% correct I believe, but thus far such has been my experience.

Latest posts

Back