One for the Construction Meister

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree with Mike Garnahm - speaking from experience of putting a nail into a burried electrical cable - surface mount where possible.

TEO":195qb2bg said:
Hey Paul

Well, much as I enjoy sitting around drinking coffee, I've yet to meet the machine that will make that possible by taking your beautifully cut boards, assembling them into the modules and then then erecting them all square etc.

I don't consider myself a luddite, in fact I've a project I'm trying to get CNC machining prices for now. And I'm certainly not trying to have a go but it's all too easy to get carried away with the toys when sometimes the older methods are just as if not more effective. I'm sure that a guy who knows what he's doing and a mate would have this done in less time than it will take with the modules.

Good luck with whichever method you choose, I'd love to see some pics if you go with the modules.

Cheers,
T

Teo,

My machine will not assemble the modules, but it will cut joint drill groove and number the panel without any assistance so accurately that assemble is very easy and accurate.

My CNC is not a toy but a serious production machine, I can produce things dayin dayout without missing a beat , no Monday or Friday syndrome. I have been down the route of employing staff, my method suits me fine I get all the advantages of production output without all the problems employing staff. I like to spend up to three months a year in Ireland if I employed staff I would not be able to do that.

You can all ready see the move with modular house building done in factories with CNC machinery, you only have to look at someone like Huf-house http://www.huf-haus.com or Hanse-house http://bilder.hanse-haus.de/details.php ... &l=english

I will keep you posted

Steve Maskery":28xmi36s said:
This looks jolly interesting!
Paul, how are you going to avoid the boards soaking up moisture from whatever they are sitting on?
S

Steve,

I am not sure yet, it will depend on my levels. The choice will be either strip foundation with 3 or 4 courses of brickwork /DPC/soleplate and then modules or 75mm pea shingle over a membrane with support legs on concrete padstones supporting joists covered in plywood and then sit the modules on that.

Snap_20100106B.jpg

Mike Garnham":2jann1ji said:
Paul,

that is not how I would recommend doing electrics in a shed. You are much safer to surface mount the cables, because everyone can see where they are then. Enclosed in the structure and sure as eggs is eggs someone will whack a nail straight into a cable sometime. Furthermore, buried cables are a nightmare if you need to alter the circuitry at any stage......adding sockets for instance.

Mike

While I understand your reasoning, I went for the enclosed wiring, which is set at 12" above the floor. I "v" grooved a line around the shop at 18" above floor level with a sign which says "no nailing/fixing below this line".

To get over installation of extra sockets, I put a loop of cable in between each studwork (page 5 of my workshop build).

This is why it takes so long for me to start a project, I have to dot the I's and cross the t's before I begin.

Mike Garnham":39dzmrwj said:
Paul,

that is not how I would recommend doing electrics in a shed. You are much safer to surface mount the cables, because everyone can see where they are then. Enclosed in the structure and sure as eggs is eggs someone will whack a nail straight into a cable sometime. Furthermore, buried cables are a nightmare if you need to alter the circuitry at any stage......adding sockets for instance.

Mike

Steve/Mike

I take the veiw that cables should run virtical or horizontal from any outlet as cables buried in walls in any dwelling or commercial building, care should allways be taken.

I will possible have a 150mm void in the modules with the cables in the middle they should be safe.

Any way it is not a shed...it's a studio :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Don't worry Paul, nobody thinks that a CNC machine's a toy, it's just a turn of phrase.
As for the modular build houses, I've seen them, something very similar has been used on an estate locally and they are very impressive however they only win over a traditional timber frame because the factories are able to scale the design to a whole estate and in doing so the main contractor can save on materials and skilled labour. A one off modular build with specially made modules like yours will always be more expensive and will take longer.
Have fun with it,
T

TEO":wmy4hvk6 said:
A one off modular build with specially made modules like yours will always be more expensive and will take longer.
More expensive? Probably.

Take longer? Have you not seen Grand Designs when a team of 5 Germans put up a whole Huf Haus in a week, electrics, plumbing, tiling, decorating, the works, finished!!

Show me any other house that would go up that quickly! ;)

Yes Mark, you're right, the mass produced modular houses are very quick to erect.
I was talking about this particular project, a one off where the design and set up time is only offset against a few modules rather than thousands.
The modular design is great, I love it but it only works time wise (and therefore price wise) where thousands of identical modules are cut and assembled in a factory.
As Mike pointed out in his first answer to the OP, the benefits in this instance are questionable. I'd say very questionable.

"but even with getting free use of the CNC kit, I still reckon it would all be a whole lot quicker and easier with a soft-wood frame. But we'll push on with it for the time being....."

The thing is that we've all done it; gone down a particular road to prove it can be done, and so I salute Paul for heading off to prove the concept, I'm sure it'll be a great, technically proficient addition to his home workshop, but it'll still take longer and be more expensive.

Cheers,
T

TEO":11l56z0d said:
but it'll still take longer and be more expensive.

Cheers,
T

Teo, I do see that it would be a simple job for two people, but I do not think it would be quicker or cheaper.

If you take the material costs from Selco the builders merchants to build a wall 3.6m long x 2.2m high x 186mm thick with 150 x 50 sawn on 600mm centers with 18mm plywood both side the cost of materials would be £280.73 excluding vat, to manufacture a wall with my method using 600mm wide modules the cost of materials would be £183.92, I think a material saving of over 35% is fairly significant. On the labour side I have not yet done any calculations but I do know that I would be able to work single handed to machine and build the wall.

I am not dismissing your method because if I was building a stud wall across a room I would use the traditional method, my aim is to work efficiently with a saving on material.
How long do you think it would take you and a mate to build the wall with your method ?

Hey Paul,

I'd say a day and a half, you'd want to take your time if it's to be to very fine tolerances. If it were for a general build, we'd knock it out in a good day, I'd expect us to get it within 2-3mm, especially if I'd been to the timber yard to select the lengths rather than taking whatever old twisted up timber they want to deliver!

I've worked it out with 400mm centres (back of an envelope mind so don't hold me to it) as:
9 lengths of 150mm x 48mm at 4.8m and 6 sheets of ply plus £20 of fixings, which at a guess would come in around your quote of £280 ex VAT. I'm intrigued now, gonna call my supplier tomorrow.

How long have you estimated for assembling and erecting the modules? You're a little far for me to nip round but if you're doing it over a weekend, give me enough notice and I'll come and give you a hand for a day.

Cheers,
T

Latest posts

Back