One Armed turner stikes again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctb

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok Chaps and Chapesses

I have not posted here for a while, but keep a regular eye on whats going on and who is doing what, must say that it's not very progressive, CHJ continues to turn out the same old shapes and forms, so I thought I woulds throw a spanner in the works and show you my latest piece, and remind you all that I can only turn with my left arm as my right is totally paralysed,

oakbowl_edited-1.jpg

Come on folks keep up :D

WOW!

I'm so tempted by Paul's Lathe.... must resist!!

Well done with that one ctb but your jibe, which is in much the same vein that I get from several professionals rather misses the point of the output from people such as myself.

We do it as a means of relaxing and personal enjoyment, not to gain artistic brownie points from a different section of the craft.
I personally get as much pleasure from my methods of processing the wood as finishing the objects.

Yes they do look a little boring and repetitive but it does not stop me from having a pot of cash to fund my next lot of consumables or as of this very moment, TLOML having to fill in a cheque deposit slip before she goes to town that will mean I can buy my next 'nice to have' tool with a clear conscience.

I could never turn out loads of bowls etc as Chas does either but I certainly aim to achieve his standard of work and finishes. Having seen some of it first hand I know that the skill involved is far beyond what I have at present. On the other hand, Chas would not wish to do the sort of thing that I like doing, things with holes and splits and bits of bark hanging off. At the end of the day each of us probably has a go at all sorts of different types of work but end up focussing on the things that we enjoy. Those of us who do it profedssionally probably spend a lot of time 'churning' out mundane stuff to earn the momey to do the things we like personally. Viva la difference!!

I like the square plate and the lacing but even with two good arms I have yet to achieve that standard. Keep showng us what you do as we all learn from one another on here no matter what stage we are at

Pete

CHJ":2n8ej20p said:
Well done with that one ctb but your jibe, which is in much the same vein that I get from several professionals rather misses the point of the output from people such as myself.

My jibe was not as you put it, a jibe, it was meant as a kick in the ass for all competant wood turners who get stuck in the rut and churn out lifeless bowl after lifeless bowl, it was a kick in the ass to get those creative juices flowing, a kick in the ass to encourage people to take on new forms, new shapes, new designs, to try and find unchartered territory in wood turning, to try something never done before.

We do it as a means of relaxing and personal enjoyment, not to gain artistic brownie points from a different section of the craft.

It's not a craft, it's an art, just as the artist wields a sable brush, we wield the bowl gouge

I personally get as much pleasure from my methods of processing the wood as finishing the objects.

Good for you old boy and long may it continue to be so

Yes they do look a little boring and repetitive but it does not stop me from having a pot of cash to fund my next lot of consumables or as of this very moment, TLOML having to fill in a cheque deposit slip before she goes to town that will mean I can buy my next 'nice to have' tool with a clear conscience

And with a wee bit of lateral thinking outside of the box, that pot of cash could be a whole lot bigger, your tools could be a wee bit better, and a VB36 could be sitting in your workshop, and all with a clear conscience.

Dear reader, it may appear that I am picking on Chas, but sincerely what I have just done, is taken the thoughts of many as composed by Chas and highlighted an alternative way of thinking, it was not my intention to offend, and if Chas is happy as he say's he is, then that's fine with me, and good luck to him, but a few of the new turners on this forum could be the next celebrity turner, the next J Clewes esq, all it takes is the germ of an idea, dedication and perseverance, if a hobby is what you want, fine, but think maybe one day, just one day, perhaps you could make a living from doing something you love, take a look at everyday objects however obscure, think of the shape, the form, what you could make from it.

Example, and I will do it, a nut and bolt, with the nut and bolt head a hexagonal shape, the nut a third of the way up the bolt, made in Oak as a clock, or candle stick, or even just left as a piece of modern art, just imaging what price would be on that at the Tate Modern

Chas, no offence meant, and I do admire you and your work, my jibe was not aimed at you or the good folks such as yourself, that's the reason I sent you a pm before posting this item in the first place, and to add a final note, this forum is one of the best, and huge thanks to that is due to you and your contribution, I respect that.

Removed by author (.trying to reason with the ureasonable is very unrewarding)

Chris.
I must admit that i did take offence at you remark about Chas.
Your intention was to get other turners attention,which i think Chas as been trying to do all this time,and has been hard work to try and get others input on the forum.Which like yourself is few and far between.
Has for being the next JC.I'd never heared of him till i came on here,nor have i still seen any of his work,my loss by all accounts.
I am still coming to terms with the basics of turning,and would love to be the next JC,but for the moment what i need is encouragement which is what Chas and some others give,and this is enough now to keep me going.
Chris the work you have shown now and in the past is still way out of my league,but am looking forward to getting their.
Keep it coming.

Paul.J.

Graham, graham, graham, you have got it all wrong, I do get out often, in fact I am in very little,

please re read my post, it was not a personal attack on the forum members, they all make a good contribution and are worthwhile members, even friends and colleagues, my attack was on the general appathy in the woodturning world as a whole, your right, there has been nothing new in woodturning for years, that's my whole point, why ?????

I am trying to encourage thinking outside the box, I know there is nothing new to invent, but why must everyday items be made of something else, or conform to a set standard, for example, wooden lamps

turned spindle, with turned foot, spindle bored out to take cable, plug on end of cable, brass or plastic bulb holder on top of spindle, put in bulb, add shade plug in, hey presto light.

but it doesn't need to be that way, has anyone seen the Osram "Dot It" led stick up anywhere light, available from QVC, homebase, woolworths and all good stores near you, also available on ebay.

dotitlamp.jpg

I brought one, and turned a wee bit of timber and this is the outcome, the spindle that holds the dot it lamp has been drilled at an angle so is self supporting on the upright at any position.
So it might not be new, but its different, and I have just sold one for £125

Please, please do not take offence at my post, it was not directed at any individual in particular, CHJ just wrote what I expected him to write, the thoughts of all on this forum, I may not be very popular as a result, and I certainly have had no pm's of encouragement, so do I stand alone in trying to get people to rethink about what they can do with that chunk of wood, and I hope they will.

I have made a number of things that I thought were pretty unique.....till I saw it in someone's gallery. There are times when I copy an idea but at the end of the day I try to create something that I feel good about or, if it is for sale, other people feel good about. Those of us who are newbies (I started in January) are dependent on people like Chas, Graham, Tam and Chris and others who are the people I look to for constructive criticism. Their skill and knowledge is impoertant to someone like myself who has no other access to turners for advice etc (plus the odd gentle ribbing about holes and proper wood :lol: )

This forum has been a godsend. Long may it be so

Pete

first and foremost, I didn't mean to sound pompous, just telling you all the way I see it.

I apologise if I have caused offence in my attempt to bring new ideas and a different way of thinking.

Chris

oldsoke":14zwglke said:
I didn't get where I am today by not recognising a dead horse when I see it...resisting the attempt to flog it isn' easier despite some experience...

All yours ctb, I'm out.......

Dead horse ? what are you referring to Graham

I assume you would not be as arrogant or insulting to regard this forum and it's members as a dead horse, so that only leaves the woodturning world in general and my attempt to create just one life changing spark of inspiration amongst its participants.

Well, picture this....................

2 old boys chatting either side of a rickety gate, as another old boy pushes his cycle past them and on down the road, all 3 exchange "good morning" pleasantries
after the cycle pushing old boy has proceeded a few yards down the road, a conversation starts up over the rickety gate and goes something like this
"huh see him" say's Mr Old Electrolux Soke to Mr CH Hoover J, "he thinks he can change the world of white goods, aint he flogging a dead horse or what" Mr CH Hoover J nods in agreement, and both the old boys chuckle as Mr James Dyson continues to push his bike.

Dead horse, there is no such thing, except occasionally at Antree and a vets surgery

Thats it, I can say no more, oh and the above analogy, its not meant as an insult, and I apologize if taken so, it was written in good humour, and intended to be read as such, more like a 2 Ronnies sketch

HI

Love the bowl and the stitching just adds that edge to it, very nice.

I haven't had much success with square bowls myself as I always seem to either break one of the corners off or end up with one corner very much thinner than the other. :oops: Oh well I will keep trying and sort it in the end.

With regards to being progressive this is a topic that keeps coming up seemingly wherever woodturning is discussed, my take on it is as follows.

It is like the painting world where you have a large community of both amatuers and proffesionals involved. The majority will follow the traditional path and do landscapes, portraits, still life etc. Then someone like Monet will come along with a new way and style of doing things and people will copy him and eventually that style will become part of the traditional way and so it goes on. For every 1 Monet there are at least a 1000 traditionalists.

This happens in woodturning, for instance the growth in the number of people doing hollow forms and how they are now looked on as being traditional. Then someone else will come along like Binh Poe (sp) with something new and we are starting to see others copying his style of work.

I do like both the traditional and the progressive side of the craft/art but the majority of the items I make are traditional. There are two reasons for this the first is that I enjoy making bowls etc and playing around with form and shape to see what I can get. Like this one.

Sycamorebowls.jpg

Spalted Sycamore 11" x 3" finished with sealer and wax

The second reason is that I sell a lot of items at craft fairs and for every 1 progressive item I sell, I sell 100 traditional items. So for my current market there isnt much call for non traditional items, but as my market changes so might my output.

I also like trying something new although most of them end up in the scrap bin. The current items I am working on is the 3 cornered bowl and shown by Cruncher here https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ht=#180779

A few months ago I was lucky enough to buy his Hegner lathe and while I was there he told me how he turned it. I have been experementing and below are some of the results.

These are all spalted Beech

3corn1.jpg

4 1/4" across points x 2 1/2" high

3corn2.jpg

4" across points x 4" high

3corn3.jpg

The Alien 4" across points x 7" high

Like painting there is room for both types of turning and both should be encouraged. I would like to see more of the progressive side of the art/craft around and hopefully in time this will happen. But I would also like to see the traditional side continue.

john

Some random thoughts - I've been trying to put something down all day...

Perhaps the perceived problem of stagnation is caused by people posting images of everything that they produce rather than being selective and only picking the best.

One thing I've noticed is that several people have said in posts that they are investigating every species of wood that they can to see how well it turns and finished whilst they are learning. If these people want to progress and push themselves further sooner then I would suggest that it's better to stick with the same one or two timbers that you can get cheaply, that you can work well and that have less distracting grain. This will let you experiment with shape and form without worrying too much about cost and without letting the wood 'speak to you' and distract you from your plan.

I realise that we're all in this for different reasons but it does sadden me to see people presenting the same shapes again and again and appearing not to be pushing themselves. Maybe it's because the shapes and forms they use are often not to my taste so I notice them more. Maybe I've just been spoilt by looking at other website galleries (particularly WOW), reading every turning book I can get my hands on, reading the magazine every month and attending demos by very accomplished turners.

Then again, as long as people are happy doing what they're doing then carry on...

Hmmm, it's taken me several attempts to try to say what my thinking is on this without offending anyone. If I have then sorry.

By the way ctb - I did a search to see what else you'd been turning but the first message with turnings in linked to an msn page that doesn't exist. After that the next posting to have an attached image is from march this year and is of a square platter. Coincidence!

John - nice 3 cornered vases. I saw Tony Wilson do one in a demo at Harrogate a couple of years ago. I tried one just after that but didn't have the experience to pull it off. I may well give it another go now.

Now John, the turnings you attached to your post are inspirational, why, because they have begged the question, "How did you do that"

I love it, I have only been turning for 2 years, and have never seen them before, they may have been around for years, but are new to me, and it appears to others, so very well done.

and Duncan, I rarely post pistures of my work on the forum, Why, because they are nothing special in my opinion, the one thing I have turned that is special I cant show at the moment, I have designed a piece and created something from turned wood that I have found never to have been done before, I have registered the design, and at the moment am in the process of trying to sell the idea into the commercial market, the fiscal return on the project has yet to be realised, so therefore I am not at liberty to release the idea to the woodturning world, when the time is right, rest assured I will.

Chris

duncanh":216ek2cz said:
Perhaps the perceived problem of stagnation is caused by people posting images of everything that they produce rather than being selective and only picking the best.
Duncan, you have raised a valid point about posting everything you produce, one that I have pondered long and hard.

When I first started I had serious misgivings about posting my basic efforts but as the post count rose in the thread (and my server logs which were recording a following from all over the world *) it became obvious that there were people who were also new to the subject and interested.

The first threadwas locked at 471 replies over 32 pages at my request because the PHP database was having problems with it, and currently stands at 40,574 views.

The second thread currently has 292 replies over 20 pages and 18,563 views.

I look around many forums but have found more than one that are intolerant of new starters, who seem to disappear from the listings after the first few 'Critical' blasts (not critiques) for fear of being put down or believing their work not worthy of display.

I for one will continue to post the majority of my output whilst the view count rises in the assumption that any new starters out there will feel free to post similar work whilst they gain confidence and expertise.

Although my interests do not run to producing pieces of Art, I for one would welcome any movement that could raise the profile of woodwork and turning in particular to a higher plane. Unfortunately there are many people out in the commercial Craft World that are purveying poor quality work that are hindering rather than enhancing the reputation of turning.

EDIT: Current views of pictures relating to UKW threads on my server space for Aug(25th) 2007

=D>

Thanks for pointing out that one can keep one's feet on the ground and still look to the heavens :wink:

Latest posts

Back