Oliver of Manchester Radial Arm Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman

Reaction score
I have owned a large crosscut saw, which is something of a Museum piece for a few years.
I bought it with other machine tools when a local woodworker retired.
It is made almost entirely of very heavy cast iron, and carries the name of Oliver Machinery Manchester on the blade cover.
It has a 3 HP motor, 19 1/2" pull, rotating and tilting carriage etc.
Other than finding out about the USA company on the internet, who may have had an offshoot in Manchester, I have been unable to find out when it was made , or any other information.
It has to be at least 50 years old.
Can anyone shed light on this please.

Hi Treeman,
Oliver did have a British subsidiary. If you have a rummage around OWWM website you should find a catalogue from their Manchester factory. I bought a nice Oliver Lathe late last year. Like your machine is all cast iron. My lathe differs from those in the US catalogues but have yet to find a dated pic of it yet. In the US they seem to be held with the same regard as we hold Wadkin.
Danny

I had a look, but only found references to the company, with no actual information.
I don't think the original company is still there, just someone with the same name.
If you found some info on the old company and products which I have missed, I would appreciate a link .
I looked at the Vintage machinery site, but again, it mentions the Manchester firm, but I didn't see any info on their products. Did I miss it?
Treeman

Thanks Danny,
Both links you sent refer to the same catalogue, No. 5.
They must be very early, as all the machinery is overhead belt drive.
FILE1669.JPG

I have included a photo of the beast.
Paul

Attachments

• FILE1669.JPG
    FILE1669.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 214
Those Canadian links were interesting, i will need to register and all that stuff before i can ask the guy if his crosscut was the same as mine.
Catalogue No5 , Danny's links show Oliver Of Manchester had an amazing product line up, even if my machine is much younger.

I have had a look at the internet this morning for the current Oliver Machinery of Manchester. Although there are references to them making sheet metal machinery in the recent past, in Salford, there is nothing current, and the phone numbers don't work.
Nothing either from BT directory enquiries.

Paul, I use to have the same radial arm saw, mine had a steel cabinet base but my guard was different so I think yours looks a late model, I would say 1950's or early sixty's for dating, its a really nice saw, I had to sell it when I downsized .
In the early days it does seem there was some small connection with the usa company but this saw is completely british.

My saw also has a steel cabinet base,with the switching incorporated. But I built the bench on top, so you can't see it in the photo I submitted here.
I am also about to downsize, and wondered where was the best place to advertise the saw.

I would just put it on ebay, put the word wadkin in the title will help you get more views from people interested in old iron that way. i found downsizing very hard, hows it going for you?.

I haven't started yet.
I keep changing my mind about what I could let go.
The spindle moulder hardly gets used..........but there's always that one job.
Another option would be to share the workshop, but that could be difficult as I've always worked on my own. We'll see.

As I said, I need the space , so the old crosscut is now on Ebay.
There will no doubt be loads of Watchers/ Dreamers, but I don't expect to sell it !
Here's hoping, as I think it would be a waste to scrap it.
Paul

Well, While searching for something else on Google, I came
across a used equipment dealer, who was interested in old machinery.
Emailed him and he has bought the saw.
Next up is my Barnes 4 1/2 metal turning/ thread cutting lathe.

"Sale" of the saw was a complete waste of time.
Used Equipment dealer let me down after I had stripped the saw to major components and palleted it.
So, it's now on Ebay again

Latest posts

Back