Older Vans and the LEZ

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promhandicam

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a letter today informing me that from 3rd January 2012 my van would not be up to the emissions standard for London. The zone is almost everywhere within the M25. Blister wrote about it back in 2008 but it wasn't implemented then for van only for larger commercial vehicles. Fortunately for me the letter relates to my old van which I sold a few weeks ago but will affect anyone with a van or pickup registered before 1st January 2002. Should you have an older van or pickup, the cost of going into the zone will be a mind boggling £100 / day! If you have an old van or pickup and live or work in or around outer London you'd better start planning on buying a newer van or working out how to get all your tools on the bus! Oh, and if you drive a lorry over 3.5t GVW, anything registered before 1/10/2006 won't meet the standards. I wonder what will happen to the annual London to Brighton commercial vehicle run?

Steve

Yep mine with them, it is a 2000 registered Ford Ranger and I travel to London at least once a month sometimes more, cost of fitting a filter to meet the standard required a shade over £3000. Then there is the annual test cost oh yes and every few thousand miles the filter has to be serviced, only of course by the manufacturers or their agents.

So looks like I will be buying a new vehicle when there is nothing wrong with this one so I will need to sell a few more bowls.

john

That's really going to catch out people who only drive there occasionally.

I'd never even heard of it until a couple of years ago and when I saw the signs worried my new diesel car wouldn't suit so ended up keeping outside the M25 to make sure I avoided it.
These signs just warn you it's there, but not what it really means or what it affects.

I'm safe :)
But what I meant was that the first I learnt of the LEZ was when I was avoided a crash on the M25, towing my trailer trying to get to Guildford and then suddenly "Low Emission Zone if you turn left"! :shock:
I had no idea what it was, so I ended up going through Slough.

I hate driving inside the M25.......

OH yes. £100 a day and a whacking £750 fine if you forget!

Hard top Defenders and anything classed s LGV rather than PLG is affected :evil:

Many people will get surprised by the massive fine methinks.

Only brightside I can think of, lots of cheap vans for the people who live in Scotland/Westcountry

Latest posts

Back