Old wooden planes - still worth it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr G Rimsdale":308hr1vc said:
jimi43":308hr1vc said:
Hey...that is a superb design!

I simply love those hand holds!

Yes I was looking at the hand holds too. It look quite practical (and why would it not be?)
I think it would be fairly similar to the grip of a modern woodie jack. Did a thread on this topic here;
http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=5&t=1351

It's fascinating how such designs evolved in the past and yet disappeared from use for a period of time - when they were essentially replaced by adze and axe - before reappearing (During the Renaissance period?) and regaining their proper place in the workplace.

The form of the handles looks fairly comfortable, but makes me wonder if they were also used for carrying on the shoulder via the addition of a strap when the artisan had to climb scaffold or travelled from place to place. :idea:

lwilliams":2e6jskcz said:
AndyT":2e6jskcz said:
Just to help out with this round that we were talking about, here's a picture of the end. It does seem to have been a bit battered in its long life:

http://www.supertool.com/forsale/f2.jpg

Does that reduce what you would pay for it?

Andy,

Don't use that plane. It's by John Nicholson the son of Francis Nicholson who many believe is the first plane maker in America. It's quite collectible and pretty valuable.
The picture has been changed!
Does anybody have a copy of the original photo with the Nicholson plane hand-carved name stamp? I was hoping to show it to someone who was wondering about making is own name stamp and I can't find another good example.

Jacob":2itx6mjm said:
lwilliams":2itx6mjm said:
AndyT":2itx6mjm said:
Just to help out with this round that we were talking about, here's a picture of the end. It does seem to have been a bit battered in its long life:

http://www.supertool.com/forsale/f2.jpg

Does that reduce what you would pay for it?

Andy,

Don't use that plane. It's by John Nicholson the son of Francis Nicholson who many believe is the first plane maker in America. It's quite collectible and pretty valuable.
The picture has been changed!
Does anybody have a copy of the original photo with the Nicholson plane hand-carved name stamp? I was hoping to show it to someone who was wondering about making is own name stamp and I can't find another good example.

You mean you don't subscribe to Mr Leech's "Supertools" newsletter Jacob!? 8)

I'm shocked! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

LINK LINK LINK CLICK

I put it in as a URL so as not to blow out the page...it's "quite" high res!

Jim

Jacob":2vf7w81a said:
I was hoping to show it to someone who was wondering about making is own name stamp and I can't find another good example.

There's a nice description of stamp making in Ashley Iles' book.

Old ones come up for sale quite often - examining an example might be most instructive - the old branding stamps are particularly easy to interpret, since they're bigger. These are quite common at car boots.

There was also a thread a few months back on stamps:

metal-stamp-personalise-your-treasures-t45989.html

If you want a hand made look. I'm sure the guy could laser cut any pattern you choose to supply, analogous to some of the hand-written fonts available for DTP.

BugBear

bugbear":3l78m8r2 said:

Ashley Iles' book? I thought. I didn't know there was one, but I have some old Woodworker magazines with some columns of reminiscences by him. I wouldn't mind a copy of that.

BB, have you seen what it goes for now? Published in 1994 by Astragal Press, 142 page paperback. A couple of dozen copies show up on BookFinder.com at £64.90 up to £255.80!

I guess it must have been praised by Chris Schwartz or someone equally influential, and has turned into an investment opportunity.

Ho hum.

AndyT":91bdzwqu said:
bugbear":91bdzwqu said:

Ashley Iles' book? I thought. I didn't know there was one, but I have some old Woodworker magazines with some columns of reminiscences by him. I wouldn't mind a copy of that.

BB, have you seen what it goes for now? Published in 1994 by Astragal Press, 142 page paperback. A couple of dozen copies show up on BookFinder.com at £64.90 up to £255.80!

I guess it must have been praised by Chris Schwartz or someone equally influential, and has turned into an investment opportunity.

Ho hum.

Good job I bought at cover price when it first came out! He does repeat some hoary old urban myths as "truths from the horses mouth" though.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back