Okay. What do you do with your mountain of offcuts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberheater

Reaction score
I'm quite new to woodworking but I'm slowly collecting a mountain of offcuts that I've been keeping in big plastic buckets on the off chance that I might need that little bit.

The end result is that I'm incrementally filling up my garage (my workshop) with loads of this stuff. What do you folks do with it? Is there anything I can use it for apart from maybe building a outdoor pizza oven and using it for fuel?

how big are the offcuts? I have had some "offcuts" that I have made things from, and produced my own offcuts. I give them to a mate to burn, or turn anything 6" long or so to pen blanks. One man's offcut is another mans board!

I keep the delicious ones like ebony, if large enough and the rest go on the woodburner apart from a jig making bits box which gets topped up from time to time. Lately I've started doing the odd glue up to create larger turn-able pieces from smaller "waste"

Burn and get rid, else you will keep them for the rest of your life and probably move them around at least a dozen times in that span.

I have an additional council bin that I use just for offcuts and my son takes them to a friend every so often for his woodburner. I do also raid the bin from time to time looking for the odd bit that I need.

It's a good way of ringing the last drop out of some of the nicer and more expensive woods like walnut. Here's a little ring box I made last week from Walnut and Ash from pieces that would normally go in the wood burner. I have a major problem setting fire to Walnut!!

IMG_5534.JPG
IMG_5535.JPG
IMG_5536.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5534.JPG
    IMG_5534.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_5535.JPG
    IMG_5535.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_5536.JPG
    IMG_5536.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 269
When my offcuts become offcuts of offcuts (ad infinitum), my neighbour has them for his fire.

Anything smaller than these keyrings is ''usually'' an offcut... but not always. :-D

100_8527a.jpg

Thanks folks. Lots of good suggestions.

I'll keep the larger pieces and turn them into something and burn the smaller bits.

Nothings too small really, just depends upon how much time you expend manipulating them.
bits.jpg

Maybe add a small lathe to the tool list if you don't already have one.

Attachments

• bits.jpg
    bits.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 235
NazNomad":1tzdz4tw said:
When my offcuts become offcuts of offcuts (ad infinitum), my neighbour has them for his fire.

Anything smaller than these keyrings is ''usually'' an offcut... but not always. :-D

100_8527a.jpg

I could get my guys making a gazzillion of those a week with my offcuts, this time next year Rodders :lol:

doctor Bob":14i69nzs said:
NazNomad":14i69nzs said:

100_8527a.jpg

I could get my guys making a gazzillion of those a week with my offcuts, this time next year Rodders :lol:

At the very least you could make a few, put your company details on and give them to customers upon completion of a job?

Nice way to advertise. They will always have your details with them to pass on.

I sometimes use offcuts to make end grain chopping boards, usually in a chequer pattern. These become gifts usually. Everything else goes in the log burner eventually or the outdoor fire pit.

I don't have offcuts. I have scrap and sawdust. and that goes in the bin.
it's a story of scale
large stuff goes over the table saw, the bits left go over the bandsaw, the bits left go over the scroll saw and the bits left from that are to tiny and awkward shaped to do anything with. :)

Softwood offcuts I can't find a use for gets burned for heat in the stove. Hardwood cuts I try and use every single scrap off, I usually buy offcuts to get my hands on hardwood.

I met a guy at a craft fair selling very Inkle and bead looms in Iroko.

His entire working stock was offcuts from a mate who does garden furniture.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back