Ok, so my first REAL project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenpin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

well, many people have been talking lately about new kitchens....i'm just coming to the end of a very long refurb on my mid terraced victorian house which me and SWMBO have been doing...
Last thing...kitchen...

We priced up what we liked :shock: :shock: ...then sat down and had another rethink...

So heres the plan...
Buy carcasses online....not the cheapest but seem pretty ok, a company called frontline.

Maple in frame doors....

Ive bought the Maple from Yandles at there autumn show 15% off :lol: ...it's been sat in the dining room now for a few weeks and ive just ordered the carcases....

So my question.....

What now..

Where do i start.....

i have slightly better than basic skills....iv'e done small projects....wine boxes....etc...
I have a nice selection of tools...bought with this project in mind.
Matika thicknesser, Ryobi router table, Rexon 254mm table saw and Record band saw.......

so i can resize the timber but are there any books, online sites that people can direct me too or offer a slightly bewildered and getting more uptight person a kind word of advice..

Thanks

Nick

Nick, what design are the doors - this could have an impact on the tooling and techniques that you require. What joinery methods are you going to use to construct the frame and panel?

Nick,

I can recommend Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture and Cabinet Construction by Andy Rae. Lots of good info that will stand you in good stead for projects further down the line.

I haven't seen Build Your Own Kitchen Cabinets by Danny Proulx, but I have a couple of his other books and they're very good; very well explained and illustrated with step-by-step instructions.

There's probably lots of info online, too, if you prefer. I imagine you're looking for frame-and-panel doors, so a Google search on that phrase should get you started.

Pete

Those books sound good, Nick. We could probably give you some direction and assistance to get you going. Whereabouts are you in Somerset? I started out my woodworking doing exactly that sort of project and would happily offer some advice to find a design to suit your capabilities and tools.

Nick

Andy Rae's book is very good, lots of good ideas presented clearly, my only caveat is that it has a very broad scope. For something Kitchen specific I'd recommend Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets by Jim Tolpin, Taunton Press. This covers just about everything you need to know about building a kitchen.

If you want Iroko worktops, do a search for kitchen surplus. I couldn't find anywhere else that could do them that cheap :) . They sell the drainer jig and cutters as well.

Rich

ByronBlack

The doors will be shaker style ...in frame...
frame to be about 20mm thick and maybe 2" wide
Sort of this design (but not pinned motice effect)
AmishInset.jpg

For the frame i am thinking of using my router table with a rail and style set but not yet found the correct design....SWMBO doesn't want the 1/4 round effect left by some router bit desgins...as in the picture above which does not have the inner beaded moulding...
The centre panel i have sourced locally a 6mm maple veneered mdf
The frame work, i have a kreg pocket screw kit which again bought at yandles, and my hero NORM :norm: uses this type of joinery to good effect.

Pete W
Thanks for the book titles...looking them up as i type

Nick Gibbs
Hi Nick, beleive i saw you at the yandles show, you were in the main demo hall ....i would have said hi but i was a lurker on here then and even though i said to my wife..."That guys on the forum ! " i left it at that...
My home is near Taunton and work in Yeovil so pass my favourite wood centre everyday... 8)

Keith Smith
Thanks Keith, i will be googling/ebaying all these books for reference..

So.....do i draw a plan or wing it...i have downloaded Sketchup...will this help in this project...

I appreciate all comments and advice from forum members...

Thanks

Nick

special bone":2nco1b6c said:
If you want Iroko worktops

Thanks Rich, wife seems to be set on granite.....and SWMBO has found a reasonable supply and fitting service on the net..

Back