Oil stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webby

Established Member
Reaction score
I have bought a cheap oil stone (well actually it came with some cheap chisels lol ) :shock:

but i want to have a go at sharpening them before i go on to more expensive chisels

any way my question is can i use water on these stones instead of oil

if it is oil that i have to use will 3 in 1 be ok

thanks in anticipation

Dave

In my experience the oilstone that comes with cheap chisels is junk. They clog instantly without really doing anything. A good quality oilstone to look out for is an India combination stone (made by Norton, I think?). I have two India stones; one bought new for twenty-somethign quid, and one bought from a bootsale unused for £2.

You cannot use water on an oilstone because they are usually already charged with oil, which repels the water. 3 in 1 oil is fine to use. Personally I use WD40 in a spray bottle.

Hope this helps

edit: Paul beat me to it

thanks guys

will look out for an India combination stone is there any markings that tell me it is one on the stone or is it down to knowing what you are looking for

The colour is normally a giveaway. A combination coarse / fine stone (the common variety) is orange on one side and dark grey on the other. If it is unused or pretty clean it will have the Norton logo on the side.

NortonIB.jpg

(image borrowed from the web)

Any old oil. The main thing is to have a go and see what happens, then make your own mind up.

Back