Oh no, it's the Name That Machine Christmas Special!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, yet another Christmas special. After all that turkey and stuffing another chance to add bon mots to probably the most pointless thread on this forum. It's back (although no bigger, better or even brighter.....). So without further ado I'll introduce you to the three machines I want you to name:

Machine #1

Xmas_NTM_011.jpg

Machine #2

Xmas_NTM_012.jpg

Machine #3

Xmas_NTM_013.jpg

I know that these are Victorian woodcuts from makers catalogues, but you guys make things really difficult for me. And the third one should be really easy :wink:

Good luck!

Oh and for anyone really interested, there'll be another one next week :roll:

Scrit

Blister":3daoz8nh said:
I got it , its a Bernard Mathews Turkey stuffer :lol:
Ermmm..... which one? :?

Or should I say close but no banana #-o

No. 2 is a bit more than a thicknesser...... No.3 3 has more than one function

Scrit

hi scrit
i am excusing myself from this competition. cos i know what they all are :lol: and dont want to spoil it
anyway jason will accuse me of cheating if i put the answers up
:-# :-# :-# :-# :-#

i do find the outfeed rollers a tad oversize on no3 thou

if this was modern machinery you wouldnt be able to see what it was for machine guarding

Duncan":v68kgj5e said:
1 is a double ended tenoner
2 cutting venners??
3 a scary universal with a tenoner
Hi Duncan

No. 1 is not a tenoner, neither is No. 2 a veneer cutter (although I can see whay you said that) but No. 3 is a universal - care to name the functions?

mel and john":v68kgj5e said:
I am excusing myself from this competition cos I know what they all are :lol: and dont want to spoil it
Oh, really? :lol:

I do find the outfeed rollers a tad oversize on no3 tho
Funny, I thought they were the mobility rollers? :wink:

if this was modern machinery you wouldnt be able to see what it was for machine guarding
Yes, it's certainly the sort of thing to give a safety officer the willies

Scrit

No1 a pin router
No2 a two sided moulder
No 3 a multi machine with errrmm

I can't take my eyes off that little wheel sneaking up through the floorboards in front of machine no 3.

What the....?

Jorden":3iobbfro said:
No 3 seems to have a tablesaw, bandsaw, planer, thicknesser, and spindle molder.
OK, yes. the moulder is actually a horizontal one (for moulding skirtings) and according the Thomas Robinso,n the manufacturer, "is an ideal machine for every joiner's shop" - if the lack of guarding doesn't worry you too much.

as no one got it
no1 is a railway sleeper incisor and hole driller
i think you got the rest

Are you a mind reader or something? Yes, no. 1 is correct. In fact nobody really got No. 2, the Arbey trying-up machine. A trying-up machine works rather like a hand plane and surface planes timber from above - often no rotary cutterblock, but a chain-drive bed or moving table to push the timber through the machine. It was a Victorian invention and lasted until the late 1920s / early 1930s and Robinson's even offered some of their 4-side moulders with non-rotating trying-up heads. Never seen one in use, though.

Scrit

hail to the font of cast iron knowledge :lol:

we are ready for the next lot sire

Want to do a Sunday one with a quiz in between (this time with a prize)?

There we are , just plain ole cheating again if i ever saw it ! :lol:

Back