Oh dear. . .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alf":1aydpyjd said:
There's a diseased mind at work there, folks. Stand well back... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

This was my worry as well, chisels in order of size, abrasive stacked away neatly in little labeled slots. :? (Or am I strangely jealous of such a phenomenal organisational ability?)

But look closely and you'll see that Rob hasn't swept the floor.

You have no idea how comforting it is to see a workbench like yours Mignal. After so many shots of pristine workshops on this site I was beginning to think I was the only untidy b*****r around!
As for Woodbloke, how I'd love a nice expanse of wall behind my bench to hang tools on! Unfortunately my workshop is a lean-to with the bench at the low side (Woodrat on the tall side). Maybe one day...

Mudman wrote:
But look closely and you'll see that Rob hasn't swept the floor
Yebut...... it will be swept Thursday night ready for the bin men on Friday

Keeping a 'shop tidy is a legacy of the 'good' old days of teaching were all kit had to be racked out on a wall in the workshop (so I could be check at the end of each lesson that the thieving little vermin hadn't run off with a tasty bit of kit). Benches had to be swept down too as the 'shop was in use all day by different groups of aspiring 'craftspeople' and I do say that advisedly.....old habits die hard I suppose, but it does make life seriously less complicated and remove allot of the stress (if that's the correct term) when you have a workshop, particularly at potential stressy type times like glueing up - Rob

I've seen Rob's 'shop and it's impressive. Very simple, very organised and very calm. I use my double garage as a workshop and because it's used for a variety of purposes it drives me mad - too much mess; too little organisation; got to move so many things to get or find the thing I want; and everything takes three times longer. Wish I was as organised as Rob.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":h664y0kj said:
.....because it's used for a variety of purposes it drives me mad - too much mess; too little organisation; got to move so many things to get or find the thing I want; and everything takes three times longer. .....

Paul

Oh I know exactly what you mean. I try. I really try to keep the surfaces of my machines empty but I never succeed. Give me a horizontal surface and I'll fill it. I'm not sure what is more stressful....always tidying stuff away (if you are naturally untidy like me) or struggling to find stuff because you haven't tidied it away :cry:

Then factor in DIY inside the house. Do I put my tools in a box and carry them all inside? Or only a few that I think I might need? But then the tool you want is back outside in the workshop :evil: At least I don't have my tools split between two locations. How those folks who work on site and at home and in the workshop manage it is beyond me :D

Roger Sinden wrote:
Do I put my tools in a box and carry them all inside?
Roger, I got round this one by keeping a small set of crappy DIY tools in the house...plastic handled chisels and screwdrivers, big claw hammer, Stanley knife, cheap tenon saw and any other crud that accumulates in the bottom of the box....Workmate as a bench in the house

Received your PM re plans...that little tool really does work on a Tormek and I was very pleasantly surprised when I tested it out, you need to ensure that the chisel blade is parallel to the stone surface before tightening the saddle screws. A little candle wax on the inside of the hole to lubricate also helps - Rob

Roger Sinden":ovv9et84 said:
Paul Chapman":ovv9et84 said:
.....because it's used for a variety of purposes it drives me mad - too much mess; too little organisation; got to move so many things to get or find the thing I want; and everything takes three times longer. .....

Paul

Oh I know exactly what you mean. I try. I really try to keep the surfaces of my machines empty but I never succeed. Give me a horizontal surface and I'll fill it. I'm not sure what is more stressful....always tidying stuff away (if you are naturally untidy like me) or struggling to find stuff because you haven't tidied it away :cry:

Then factor in DIY inside the house. Do I put my tools in a box and carry them all inside? Or only a few that I think I might need? But then the tool you want is back outside in the workshop :evil: At least I don't have my tools split between two locations. How those folks who work on site and at home and in the workshop manage it is beyond me :D

you need one of these for the house,i've always used 2 for installations & have always sworn by them.they fit on five gallon emulsion bucket.

regards
TB29898.jpg

OK. You lot have had a little chuckle at my slobbish methodology but out of chaos theory emerges this:

pln8.jpg

You can actually see it in mounted in the vice in my original posting. Bubinga with Ind.Rosewood sole and adjustable mouth. This is actually in Mark VIII form as I’m always trying to improve aesthetics and especially ergonomics. I’ve already decided to ditch the Rosewood sole (not slick enough) and the front thumb depression for the next plane.
Here’s a pic of Mark I:

pln10556x314.jpg

The silly knob at the front just had to go. I also decided to change the cross pin for the more traditional abutments. In future I may even try using the more European plane woods such as a Beech body with a Hornbeam sole. Hornbeam definitely feels slicker probably because of its hardness and very close-grained texture.

mudman":fg0urynd said:
But look closely and you'll see that Rob hasn't swept the floor.

I think the shavings were put there on purpose so that we don't accuse him of being a c*l*c**r :lol:

Steve

MIGNAL

Well, for a post that started off "Oh dear...", that's a pretty impressive little plane to slip under our noses now! Looks damn good to me.

Regards.

Latest posts

Back