Offset Chair leg

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Could anybody please advise of the best way to turn a chair leg with the bottom of the leg offset like the one in the photos.

Although I haven't done it yet I understand the principle of making a "box" to enable the centres to be offset but was wondering if there is any other way to "bend" the last 4".

Thanks, Merlin

Attachments

• chair leg 1.JPG
    chair leg 1.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,300
  • chair leg.JPG
    chair leg.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,300
Might it be carved out of a larger diameter at that end?

Edit: Or spokeshaved, or planed, if you know what I mean.

Many years ago, my dad made a pair of these, to complete a set.
My Dad did As Brian P said, they are turned as the front , which still is within the top diameter and then spoke shaved to finish shape.
Try and get some nice grained timber, his was ash.
Regards Rodders

Hi Merlin

I would definitely turn the bottom of the leg the a wedge shape, using the curve of the original flare as a template, then remove the unwanted material with, first a bandsaw by cutting the back/inside off, then masking taping it back on, then one side and tpe it back on, then the other, to give a square flared shape, then using a plane, spokeshave and/or Microplanes, finish off the shape.

The box jig you suggest is more for longer chair backs with angled legs, but is possible with a fair amount of head scratching - I've never done it but seen pictures. The other option is steam bending, but these legs aren't long enough, so you'd end up with lot of waste to achieve the bend you want.

HTH

Richard

Thanks Gents,

It always makes far more sense when somebody explains rather than just thinking about it.

I will let you know how I get on when I have a go.

Cheers, Merlin

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't that leg have been turned while green and assembled to the dry rails so when they reached equilibrium would lock together, and the tip of the legs also bent out and allowed to dry while green. It looks to me like that chair type would have been made by a Bodger in the woods. At least that's how I remember the antiques brought over by the container loads that my father used to repair for the auction houses in the '70s.

My father made a jig to fit a lathe's faceplate to hold the curved foot of the back leg of a set of chairs he made for a client. The bottom of the leg was sawn to shape and the tops were turned above the seat. It's buried in the shop someplace in case I ever decide to make similar chairs and I hang onto the jigs and patterns he made because of sentiment. :wink:

Pete

Hello Pete,

I think you are right, it is I am sure a Bodger made chair, it is well made and it does wobble a bit but there is no hope of pulling the joints apart.

I had a go last night to form the bottom of the leg on a piece of scrap softwood, it was in the end quite simple - easy when you know how.

Cheers , Merlin

Attachments

• new leg.JPG
    new leg.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,027
Back