Oak TV cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross K

Established Member
Reaction score
Delivered last week to a no-nonsense customer who wanted a good honest plain cabinet with no curves, no detailing, no rounded edges or bevels, no handles, no frills, just a nice solid sturdy cabinet with some book matching. They also gave me the exact dimensions they wanted!

I'm not that keen on having my hands tied so much but it made for a very straightforward job and the end result is "pleasingly plain" - I've tried to use more or less symmetrical grain patterns where I could to provide some interest. The door panels are in fact book matched but the way the sun is catching them makes them look unmatched.

P1000327c.jpg

Lovely Chunky Honest piece. Like it very much, well done.

I like it.

I think Tom has the right word when referring to it as 'honest' solidity.

Cheers, Ed

Very nice, my type of design, nothing fancy but very strong in appearance, I would have no compuction in recommending you anyday.

Rich, btw, thanks for taking the time to show the pics.

A strong robust no nonesense piece of furniture. Good to see, there are some pretend pieces like this on the open market but when looked at in scutiny they are not as solid as first appearing.
Hands tied or not good piece, and I do see what you mean about the matching pieces, looking closely I can see they match but the light...is playing hell.

Alan

motownmartin":2ryd0i0d said:
Like it, what about some handles

Thanks for all the comments, chaps! I gave the customer various handle options but they insisted on none, for a fully "clean" look, so I made a rounded channel in the underside of each door near the closing end of each. You can't see them but they're a tactile treat!

I find the cabinet very interesting! The proportions all come together very nicely and it looks very well made indeed...

Have you posted any of you other work on this forum?

This is just my kind of piece as well, I like it a lot! :D I may have been tempted to bring the bottom rail further forward. How are the end panels fitted? Those boards on top look wild - must've taken some work to "tame" them!! :wink:

OPJ":3pfwh7v5 said:
I may have been tempted to bring the bottom rail further forward. How are the end panels fitted? Those boards on top look wild - must've taken some work to "tame" them!! :wink:

Ollie, you're right abiut the top - Scottish oak tends to be a bit on the wild side so I thicknessed them to 35mm then left them a few days then took them down to 30mm taking out any twist/bend.

The end panels are biscuited into the legs and then the rails are fitted with really long tenons into the legs. I like this construction because all the grain runs in the same direction, top, sides, bottom and shelf inside, so it makes for a piece that can "breathe" without any fear of breaking.

The bottom rail is set back on purpose as a simple way of making the door bottom edges accessible to get your fingers under to open them - the customer insisted on no visible handles, so I routed half round short grooves on the bottom edges. It also made it a lot easier to fit the doors as effectively I had only to fit them snugly to the top rail and legs which are all flush to the front. Speed = profit!

OPJ":3kpp9whf said:
I may have been tempted to bring the bottom rail further forward
I agree with Olly here, that bottom rail tends to throw the piece out a bit...but if that's what the customer wanted :duno: - Rob

I'll join the chorus of approval for this one as well, and it certainly looks as though it'll last for generations. Funnily enough I like the recessed bottom rail. I'd maybe have set the doors back a few mill, but as the man says, if that's what the customer asks for ...................

Latest posts

Back