Oak tray from some leftover stock...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Einari Rystykaemmen

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a piece of oak tabletop, which was leftover from my kitchen renovation. I decided to make small oak tray and give it to my buddy who will turn 60 years soon. Sorry, no any WIP pics this time... :wink:

Finishing was done with 4 coats of Chestnut's Hard Wax Oil.

tray01.jpg

tray02.jpg

I had my "Oh dung" moment with this project also... I made a novice mistake constructing/designing this one, which lead some headache until I realized reasonable solution.

As you can see, frame is attached top of bottom plate. Normally this would lead break of frame corner joints when solid wood bottom plate expands/shrinks with huminidy (nasty openings on corners). So, gluing bottom plate thoroughly to frame is out of question.

Workaround was "floating attachment". First I glued frame corner joints with epoxy to add some mechanical strenght. Then I apply regular PVA glue middle of frame (bottom plate / frame surface) leaving about inch or two without glue near corners. Then I attached bottom plate to the frame with few srews, again leaving screws out near corners. Then I hide screw heads with stripes of walnut veneer.

I hope this construction reduces twisting forces to the corners, when bottom is expanding and keeps corner joints intact as they are freely "floating" top of bottom plate. Frame itself will bend slighty during expanding, but it is small price instead of breaking up corner joints... :wink:

Very nice! They look so simple but they are so difficult. I made one and so did olly, its like a forum build.

Latest posts

Back