Oak Sculpture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I don't post much these days but I thought I would post this one as it is very simple to make with the most basic of tools and a blow torch, which is always fun.

Unseasoned oak, 1 meter high

finisheditemcropped.jpg

top.jpg

Hi Lee

Thank you for your comment.

Blister

Thank you for your comments

It is the same one as in woodturning, just they take better end pictures than me :oops: :D

Love the top bit Mark , a great textured pattern 8) Looking at it and I have been for a while I'm not sure if it needs something else to the plinth, this may just be that it looks like you've photoshopped it onto a stark background making it look false, it would be really nice to see it photographed in a real environment.

JT

johnny.t.":t73h7ltv said:
Love the top bit Mark , a great textured pattern 8) Looking at it and I have been for a while I'm not sure if it needs something else to the plinth, this may just be that it looks like you've photoshopped it onto a stark background making it look false, it would be really nice to see it photographed in a real environment.

JT

I have a designer friend and she has been telling me that if I am photographing things for sale then it is a good idea to do just that Johnny, have them so that people can see them in situ in some way.

Pete

Hi Johnny and Pete

Thank you for your comments.

I agree in relation to the photo. It is not very good.

The one in woodturning magazine is much better as it is turned at an angle. It has not been photo shopped and was taken in front of a white background , but the picture is over exposed so it is washed out.
The negative Pete of photographing an item in situ is that if it is an interior item and you get the background/composition wrong/ it is not to peoples taste then this can turn them off too.

It is a difficult one to which companies spend a lot of money. At times I personally find photographs that have been staged can look worse than just in front of a neutral background. But I am certainly no expert about photography as I have been finding out today with my new camera :x :x :D

I think the idea my friend was getting at is partly to get some sense of proportion and also to give the object a sense of belonging. I totally agree that it doesn't always apply. I am totally lost anyway with the digital cameras. I can use Photoshop , used to teach it, but taking the darn things in the first place is beyond me. Much better when it was film LOL. I tend to just snap them on the table or something.

Pete

mark sanger":2xns0ib3 said:
Hi all

I don't post much these days but I thought I would post this one as it is very simple to make with the most basic of tools and a blow torch, which is always fun.

Unseasoned oak, 1 meter high

finisheditemcropped.jpg

top.jpg
Hi Mark
That is a lovely piece of work but it doesn't look 'very simple' to make. How do you do the texturing on the top piece? Is the base turned with a series of beads for decoration?

Regards Keith

Bodrighy":3oz42xmv said:
I think the idea my friend was getting at is partly to get some sense of proportion and also to give the object a sense of belonging. I totally agree that it doesn't always apply. I am totally lost anyway with the digital cameras. I can use Photoshop , used to teach it, but taking the darn things in the first place is beyond me. Much better when it was film LOL. I tend to just snap them on the table or something.

Pete

I have to say that you are right. If taken with some reference for for scale or even what/where it can be used people can understand where they would put a piece.

The difficulty I have is that I have several nice homes and gardens I could take the pics but not the lighting to make them look good. As I am finding even taking good still life pics outside requires proper lighting if I want them to look like they do in a magazine.

So I tend to snap away to, take lots of pics and hope one out of the 50 looks good.

Hudson carpentry

Thank you for your comments. they are enjoyable to make as green wood means no dust and with this piece there is no finishing only off the tool so quick too.

Keith

These are simple to make and only use basic tools. The project of how to make one of these is out in the latest "woodturning" magazine which I understand some peoples news agents have not got in stock yet so I can not go into detail as to how they are made.

All the parts are turned including the central plinth with only the most basic of turning tools.

The top section is easier than appears and can be carved for the texture with any carving tools. Although a power carver is quicker.

mark sanger":11oq8pok said:
I have to say that you are right. If taken with some reference for for scale or even what/where it can be used people can understand where they would put a piece.

I love this piece Mark. I can also see where people come from when they talk about a frame of reference, when I saw some of the pieces you have posted here in real life I was amazed at how much smaller they were than I expected. My level of appreciation went up when I found out that they were half the size I thought they were as there was absolutely no where to hide any mistakes.

Hi Frugal

Thank you for you comments about my work, I am glad you like it.

You must have seen my work At Yandles, if so I am there again at the Spring show so come and introduce yourself.

Thanks again

mark sanger":11ztig75 said:
You must have seen my work At Yandles, if so I am there again at the Spring show so come and introduce yourself.

It was indeed at Yandles, you were also kind enough to spend your only fag break of the day helping me choose a lathe.

Unfortunately after buying a cl4 at Yandles last spring and about 3 cubic meters of wood at auction this winter I am not sure that I can justify going back down to Yandles this spring ;( it tends to get a bit expensive ;)

frugal":mnf0y7an said:
mark sanger":mnf0y7an said:

It was indeed at Yandles, you were also kind enough to spend your only fag break of the day helping me choose a lathe.

Unfortunately after buying a cl4 at Yandles last spring and about 3 cubic meters of wood at auction this winter I am not sure that I can justify going back down to Yandles this spring ;( it tends to get a bit expensive ;)

Hi

Ah yes I remember you now. I am bad with names but can remember faces. I hope you are getting on well with the lathe.

I will be taking pics of my time at Yandles for my blog so at least you can see what went on from afar.

It can get expensive especially when we can obtain so much visual and written information from the internet for nothing. It is however good to see the show still having good attendance even in this climate.

Back