Oak kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi senior - did you find it wasteful to thickness the oak down to 15mm? This is currently on my immediate 'to do' list and would love to use dovetailed oak, but i am finding it difficult in justifying using 1" oak and thicknessing down - (is this what you did?) Did you dovetail front and back? What did you use for drawer bottom?

Sean

Sean,

It seems wasteful, but if you grade the timber once its all planed up, the lower quality timber goes into drawer boxes.

I have to say, that all my drawer box material at present is made out of old oak flooring which I bought mega cheap, I should have enough for a year or two, its 19mm so a quick skim cleans it up and not to many chippings.

I have in the past bought inch and a half and bust it down the middle but its a lot of hassle.

nice work dont envy you fitting the grannite. we sub it out luckily. delivered and fitted an island unit for a kitchen was bit of a nightmare coz grannite and marble due to turn up at any time. we fitted it all ok. when it was time to put the 2.2mx1.4m marble on the top they (the subies) broke it wasnt nice to see but glad didnt have to phone boss and say i did it.

Bit of confusion, I take on the whole project but like you I sub out the granite, there is no way i'm busting my guts lifting granite around.

hi senior,
we are currently using the blumotion runners but have problems with lateral movement on drawers over 700mm wide. We have the Hettich rep coming in tomorrow to show us their version which aparently doesnt do this. Have you got any past experience with them?

I had the hettich rep in about 6 weeks ago, I was quite impressed and said i'd give them a go, I haven't done yet but will do in time.

I liked the hettich ones because there is a definate snap in on the last 2-3mm so hopefully no sloppy finishing position. Also if you look at their range of drawerboxes they look pretty good, I'm sick and tired of making dovetailed drawer boxes!!!!!!

Let me know if you use them orangetlh, and vice versa.

had the rep in today. They seemed pretty good, also about half the price of the blum runners. He reckons that they are good upto 1500mm wide and then they need the rack and cog supports. Only problem I can see is the time it's going to take to rebate the bottoms of the drawers out. As you said the snap seems pretty solid so hopefully they will do the job. We have a few samples coming wednesday. The heavy duty ones seem to come in some wierd lenghts tho, 320, 470 etc.

Back